Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to shutdown/restart PPM server

Highlighted
VermaR
Occasional Advisor

Steps to shutdown/restart PPM server

Hi,
what is the exact step sequence to shutdown/restart PPM server. The system is unix based. I know kstop.sh and kstart.sh are used normally. Are there any steps/activities I need to perform?
Please help.....
8 REPLIES
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Re: Steps to shutdown/restart PPM server

Hi,
The command execution is from Unix environment.

You can use following methods,
1. sh kStop.sh -now -user
2. Execute
ps -ef | grep DNAME
This will show you what services are running and give you a process ID number (PID). You can then use this command:
Kill -9
3. Restart the Server.

If you have done any changes to the server.conf file then run kUpdate.HTML before running kStart.html

Thank you

Regards,
Mahendran M
Danreut
Acclaimed Contributor

Also you can kstatus,sh to see status server.

Use it before kstart.sh

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Note that an orderly shutdown can take several minutes. The kill command should only be used if the process hangs and does not shut down on its own. I have seen documentation that states that this can take up to seven minutes.

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi, Jim,

we are running PPM 9.12 and we noticed that roughly 60% of the PPM system shut down hangs if you happen to issue the command while the heavy services are running.

There is an option for making sure you have a clean PPM shutdown when you want to do it automatically via scripting:

in a shell script, issue a normal shutdown command and loop for something like 5 minutes and then if the process has not stopped, get its PID and issue a kill -9 command.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
sonaliashah
Super Collector

Hi Alex,

Some more pointers to help you with a complete shutdown/restart:

Just before shutting down, cleanup of cache is also advisable using kRunCacheManager

2. Once the process has completely shutdown, delete work and temp folders.

3. Clear Windows Temp folder

4. Clear java temp files using control panel > java (although this is not needed)

Sonali

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi, Sonali,

can you please detail the reasoning for following the steps you suggested:

1.  cache is anyways cleared while shutting down, I don't the purpose of wasting time clearing it one more time.

2. this is applicable only when you add/delete a class or when you have an upgrade.

3. Why? The PPM server does not use this folder.

4. This is applicable ONLY for client machines, and only when you upgrade the PPM instance and there is a new version of the workbench applet that needs tobe donwloaded from the server.

cheers

alex

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

I agree completely with Alex on points 1 thru 3. My experience with point 4 is a bit different, though. We are in the process of upgrading from 7.5 to 9.12. The first time I clicked the desktop icon to open the workbench after the upgrade, the change was detected and the application was downloaded automatically. I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased.

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi, Jim,

I have encountered this issue since many times during the day I connect to PPM environments with different versions,( 7.5, 8.X, 9.x).

cheers

alex

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event