Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Steps involved in changing validation type

Highlighted
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Steps involved in changing validation type

Hi,

I have one text filed (its mandatory field only under some of the stages in my workflow).

We have several requests, already present in our database with one or other values for this field.

I want to change this field from text field to drop down (with some of the options to choose from).

How should I achieve this? and if I add fresh how can I make sure I am not breaking something from existing defect requests?

Thanks,
Sam.
15 REPLIES
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Re: Steps involved in changing validation type

Hi Sam,

Please validate the business case behind this change. Following are the implications of the change once it is made.
1) When the field become editable in the requests(old) only DDL values & the request field value will be displayed. So that u can preserve the old request value for the field.
2)For new requests only new DDL values will be displayed.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sangiliraja,

Could you please elaborate your answer further?

Regards,
Sam.
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sam,

Here is my example.

The text field name TextfieldA. Say there are 3 requests A,B and C already with values in the field as "A", "B", "C".

Now you have changed the textfield to Drop down list having values like "DDL1, DDL2, DDL3".

When you open the request A the DDL will show A, DDL1, DDL2, DDL3. requestB will have B, DDL1, DDL2, DDL3. requestC will have C, DDL1, DDL2, DDL3.

New requests will be showing only DDL1, DDL2, DDL3.

I think it is clear.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Sangiliraja.

BTW - Surprisingly, when I checked the field from workbench, everything is disabled. So how do I modify it from Textfield to Dropdown list? :(

Also, is there any way where I could avoid getting values A, DDL1, DDL2, DDL3?

Regards,
Sam.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sam.... You can enable the field by clicking 'Yes' Radio button.

And you can create a brand new validation(Drop Down) by replacing the existing Text validation(The field is editable) clicking 'New' (Shown in the snap)

If you plan to change the test field to Dropdown, always plan to convert the text in Textbox to the compatible Drop-down Value by manual updation or backend Query.

It is always a good Practice.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

"Also, is there any way where I could avoid getting values A, DDL1, DDL2, DDL3?"

I hope you got things wrong here.

If Request # 123456 has a text field called "Field A" which has value called 'A'.

If you convert the validation of "Field A" as Drop-Down... Then for Request # 123456 alone the drop down will show as 'A, DDL1, DDL2, DDL3'. For the other request it will NOT show 'A'

In Request # 123456 if you change the showing value 'A' as 'DDL1' and save the request, from that instant you cannot see 'A' in the drop down.

Simply the value that you are seeing is taken from DB. Always do the conversion of the text field value to the corresponding DD Value. We have faced very big issues because of this.

Regards,
Mahendran M
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Mahendran, when I open that filed the option is disabled (check the snap).

Note that, this filed is TextField and now I wish to convert it into DropDown, how to do that? I cant click it as its disabled shown in picture.

Thanks,
Sam.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Mahendran, when I open that filed the option is disabled (check the snap).

Note that, this filed is TextField and now I wish to convert it into DropDown, how to do that? I cant click it as its disabled shown in picture.

Thanks,
Sam.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Kindly check up your snap, I hope it is Portlet definition. Please advice if I am wrong.

Regards,
Mahendran M
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

My mistake. Sorry. Attached the correct one now.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

'Component Type' is a read only field. It changes when you change the validation(Highlighted in my snap)

If you already have the Drop Down validation created replace 'Text Field - 20' with your validation.

You have not created the DD Validation click 'New' button below 'Validation' Area to create the new validation.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sorry forgot the snap.

Regards,
Mahendran M
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

But all the fileds are disabled, how do I changed them? See the snap.

Regards,
Sam G.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

But I suspect you are seeing a Request Header field from Request Detail area.

Open the header and go to the section called 'Summary' and open the field.

Regards,
Mahendran M
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Mahendra. I was looking at Request Types option from workbench. As you mentioned when I checked it under Request Header, I could change it.

Thankns once again.