Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Status Dependency configurations?

Highlighted
cimplebs
New Member.

Status Dependency configurations?

Sometimes I get a pop-up that indicates a field is required, sometimes it is flagged at the execution of a workflow step. Sometimes the attributes are flagged (red asterik) that are reqiuired, sometimes not, but show up in Action Required workflow anyway. I need to have values entered on the first SAVE of a new work flow, and other values required at the close of a workflow step. I seem to have experienced all the needed behavior, but can't seem to understand the configuration that drives them.
If you set an attribute as required in Step 3, then if you try and close step 2 it shows up in Action Required prior to close of step 2. But it appears that in order to set the required flag in step 3, it must be editable in step 3 (which is not desired). Does anyone have these various configurations and associated behaviors defined somewhere? Thanks for any help and guidance.
1 REPLY
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Status Dependency configurations?

Hello,

re: "Sometimes the attributes are flagged (red asterik) that are reqiuired, sometimes not, but show up in Action Required workflow anyway."

They are flagged (red asterisk) when there is only one path forward and PPM can determine the required fields for that next step.

If there are multiple paths the request can take, then it cannot always determine what the required fields are (will be) until a user has selected an action. Then, it gives you the prompt for the fields required for that path.

re: "If you set an attribute as required in Step 3, then if you try and close step 2 it shows up in Action Required prior to close of step 2"

Correct...it is a "look-ahead" model.

re: "But it appears that in order to set the required flag in step 3, it must be editable in step 3 (which is not desired)."

Correct...BUT...remember it is by Status, not Step. You can have something like an OR step as a "step 2.5" where you change the status to something that triggers the required dependencies leaving step 2, then have arrival at step 3 again change the status to the one that does not allow edit of that field.

Make sense?