Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staffing profile gets Cancelled when we change the Driving process for the project

Highlighted
ShravanK
Regular Collector

Staffing profile gets Cancelled when we change the Driving process for the project

Hello Team,

Currently we are working on enhancements for the project workflow where we have designed complete new workflow and sub workflows for the existing request type "PPM - Project".

We have old projects with old workflow. And we are planning to change them to new workflow.
For this, we have enabled "Driving process" field in summary and saved the project to new workflow.

But we have observed that staffing profile which was linked to this project gets Cancelled with this change.

Can anyone please let me know how to fix this.We should not change the staffing profile status to Cancelled with this change.

If it is standard functionality, then please let us know the workaround for this issue.

Best Regards,
Shravan

7 REPLIES
Amishra

Re: Staffing profile gets Cancelled when we change the Driving process for the project

Hi Shravan,

Just did a quick test at my end, and this is not the case.

Could be possible that in your new workflow before the first step there is an execution step that resets the staffing profile status to cancelled.

As far as i know when you change workflow it eventually goes to the first step of the new workflow.

You can have a new execution step as first step (e.g. Launch Project) and within that have a command that sets your staffing profile status. 

e.g.  ksc_set_staffing_profile_status USE_NAMES_FLAG="N" STAFF_PROF_IDS="[REQ.P.KNTA_STAFFING_PROFILE]" STATUS_CODE="1"

Cheers,

Ajay

ShravanK
Regular Collector

Re: Staffing profile gets Cancelled when we change the Driving process for the project

Hello Ajay,

Thanks for the response. But I have checked the new workflow, there is no execution step which is cancelling the staffing profile in the new workflow. I have checked for 2 more projects also converting to new work flow, but for those projects also, I saw staffing profile was cancelled.

If suppose, If I update the staffing profile status back to In Planning or Active status, will it harm to any of the positions within the staffing profile. What happened to requested positions in that staffing profiel. Will that be OK if I do status update from the database. Could you please check thse for me.

Thanks again in advance.

Best Regards,

Shravan

Amishra

Hi Shravan,

It should be alright, i would recommend to have a execution step as first step of the new workflow and reset the status of the staffing profile through that.. 

There wont be any effect on the existing positions etc.. 

Give it a go, let me know how it goes.. 

Cheers,

Ajay

ShravanK
Regular Collector

Hello Ajay,

Thanks for the response again.

My concern is is there any harm to staffing profile and financial data if we update the cancelled staffing profile status back to In Planning or Active. HP saying like they are recommending changing workflow to new workflow after submitting request with old work flow. But As per your knowledge and my knowledge there wont be any problem. 

I am not sure why HP is suggesting not to change the workflow.

Jst wanted to again check with you why the staffing profile status is chaning to Cancelled, and if we change the status back to In Planning, will it affect current requested positions within the staffing profile.

Best Regards,

Shravan

ShravanK
Regular Collector

Hello Ajay,

sorry for the typo in my recent update.

HP saying like they are not recommending changing workflow to new workflow after submitting request with old work flow. But As per your knowledge and my knowledge there wont be any problem. 

Please check my update and advise further.

Best Regards,

Shravan

ShravanK
Regular Collector

I have tried below option to test.

1). I have cancelled the project. with this, staffing profile has also been closed.

2). Again I have reopened the project. But staffing profile still in "Cancelled" status, the status of staffing profile didnot changed.

Even for the above case, do we need to change the status of staffing profile from the database or any other setting need to be part of project setting that is preventing.

Best Regards,

Shravan

Amishra

Hi Shravan,

Apologies for late response.. was away for long time.. 

So when you cancel the project, the staffing profile gets cancelled; bu the position status in the staffing profile doesnt change.. in fact the demand, supply doesnt change.. 

When i reopen the project it goes to the first step of 'Launch project' which is a execution step and this sets the status of the staffing profile back to Active..  If you dont have this, then the staffing profile still stays as Cancelled. 

ksc_set_staffing_profile_status USE_NAMES_FLAG="N" STAFF_PROF_IDS="[REQ.P.KNTA_STAFFING_PROFILE]" STATUS_CODE="1"

Cheers,

Ajay

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event