The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staffing profile and Work plan relation

Highlighted
Amanjyot87
Occasional Advisor

Staffing profile and Work plan relation

Hi,

Could anyone of you please let me know what is relationship between staffing profile and work plan. Only thin i know is staffing profile contains forecasted values and work plan consists of actuals(from timesheets). I wanted to knw the relation btw them from the budget perspective. 

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES
SummerXia
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Staffing profile and Work plan relation

Hi,

Staffing profiles enable a project manager to track the forecast demand of resources, arranged by role.

In the project settings-> Cost and Effort, by choosing Staffing Profile represents the work load imposed by the project, project manager can use the staffing profile as the planned work load for your project.  In this option, the staffing profile represents both planned and actual resource load. Planned load is always entered directly on the staffing profile. Actual load can be entered directly on the staffing profile or on the work plan or time sheets.

PPM also provide project manager another option, track workload directly on Work plan.  You can select Work plan task assignments represent the work load imposed by the project in  project settings-> Cost and Effort. By doing this, both scheduled and actual effort must be tracked in workplan.

In short, staffing profile and work plan provide project manager two ways to track the work load demand and actuals on the project. The typical usage is, for long-term and complicated project, we recommend user to use staffing profile, while for short projects when the work plan is fully defined and scheduled, using workplan to represend the workload is good enough.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Summer

SKN1
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Staffing profile and Work plan relation

Shouldn't Softbooked/Unmet demand in staffing profiles automatically shift dates to future if there is no action taken? We are not seeing this. Is this a configuration issue?

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event