Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Staffing Profile Line Maximum

Highlighted
Heather Sprutte
Regular Contributor.

Staffing Profile Line Maximum

Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of staffing profile lines that can be used in a request?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Staffing Profile Line Maximum

Hi Heather,

I don't think there's a limit. But can you let know the exact business issue? So that will help in knowing the problem area and possible solutions.
Heather Sprutte
Regular Contributor.

One of our users has a very large staffing profile in ITG. I would say over 120 lines. When she tries to open the staffing profile, she gets an error message...

Index: 152, Size: 152
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 152, Size: 152
at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:507)
at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:324)
at com.kintana.rsc.server.StaffingProfileDBAdapterImpl.loadStaffingProfileLinesAndCells(StaffingProfileDBAdapterImpl.java:647)
at com.kintana.rsc.server.StaffingProfileDBAdapterImpl.load(StaffingProfileDBAdapterImpl.java:292)
at com.kintana.core.arch.DBAdapter.load(DBAdapter.java:70)
at com.kintana.core.cache.Cache.get(Cache.java:451)
at com.kintana.core.arch.DBAdapter.loadWrapper(DBAdapter.java:95)
at com.kintana.core.arch.Home.load(Home.java:87)
at com.kintana.rsc.web.ctrl.StaffingProfileController.constructDataPacket(StaffingProfileController.java:198)
at com.kintana.rsc.web.ctrl.StaffingProfileController.(StaffingProfileController.java:129)
at org.apache.jsp.StaffingProfile_jsp._jspService(StaffingProfile_jsp.java:121)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:210)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Unknown Source)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Unknown Source)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$Chain.doFilter(Unknown Source)
at com.kintana.core.web.filter.ResponseCompressionFilter.applyFilter(ResponseCompressionFilter.java:68)
at com.kintana.core.web.filter.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:52)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$Chain.doFilter(Unknown Source)
at com.kintana.core.web.filter.ControlFilter.applyFilter(ControlFilter.java:670)
at com.kintana.core.web.filter.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:52)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$Chain.doFilter(Unknown Sourc

Is there any way to restore this staffing profile, and prevent this from happening again? I've attached this as a word document too for easier viewing. Thanks.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

This looks like an unhandled exception in PPM. It may be either due to the number of lines, which PPM is unable to handle or due to some internal data error. Unfortunately, in PPM can't either copy a Staffing Profile to test that option out also. It seems you are on 6.0. The staffing profile table has complex relationships with multiple tables, specifically if its associated with resource pool and budget, so manually trying to modify something directly from the backend will be a tedious job. I would just rather say create a support case with HP and let them look into the issue to fix it. Unless I come up with any other ideas then will sure post it here, but this sure looks like an error which is not handled in the PPM Java files, as it does not give any PPM error message but the error message is coming from Java itself.
Heather Sprutte
Regular Contributor.

You are right, the error is in ITG 6.0. Ihave a case open with HP. I was hoping it was simply a line limitation where I could increase a number on the db side or a setting within the ITG configuration. I appreciate your help.
vamsee_1
Respected Contributor.

Hey Heather,

Just to confirm your thoughts. There is a Cache size constraint which leads to this error. I have a similar error pertaining to Project Plans. A particular project plan would not open because the name of the project plan / number of resources assigned to the plan are too long. This particular case has been detected as a bug and HP is working on it.