Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staffing Profile Error (java.lang​.NullPoint​erExceptio​n:)

Highlighted
Customs09
Occasional Advisor

Staffing Profile Error (java.lang​.NullPoint​erExceptio​n:)

Hi All,

Whe I am opening a staffing profile of a project, I get the following error. Anybody please help me in this.

An unknown exception has occurred. Please reload the page you were editing and try again.

The following is a stack trace of the exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException:
com.mercury.itg.rm.staffing.impl.PositionImpl.calc​ulateUnmetDemand(PositionImpl.java:549)
com.mercury.itg.rm.staffing.impl.PositionImpl.hasN​onZeroUnmetDemandBucket(PositionImpl.java:607)
com.mercury.itg.rsc.staffing.uiutil.StaffingProfil​eUtils.createPositionSection(StaffingProfileUtils.​java:948)
com.mercury.itg.rsc.staffing.web.EditStaffingProfi​leAction.createTableData(EditStaffingProfileAction​.java:316)
com.mercury.itg.rsc.staffing.web.EditStaffingProfi​leAction.doExecute(EditStaffingProfileAction.java:​165)
com.mercury.itg.common.web.BaseAction.execute(Base​Action.java:146)
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processA​ctionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:421)
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(​RequestProcessor.java:226)
org.apache.portals.bridges.struts.PortletTilesRequ​estProcessor.process(PortletTilesRequestProcessor.​java:50)
com.mercury.itg.common.web.PortletTilesRequestProc​essor.process(PortletTilesRequestProcessor.java:47​)
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(Act​ionServlet.java:1164)
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(Actio​nServlet.java:397)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet​.java:697)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet​.java:810)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in​ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do​Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
org.ajaxanywhere.AAFilter.doFilter(AAFilter.java:4​6)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in​ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do​Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
com.mercury.itg.servlet.I18NFilter.doFilter(I18NFi​lter.java:34)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in​ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
com.mercury.itg.servlet.HibernateSessionFilter.doF​ilter(HibernateSessionFilter.java:77)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.stinger.ValidationFilt​er.applyFilter(ValidationFilter.java:93)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.stinger.ValidationFilt​er.doFilter(ValidationFilter.java:66)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.ControlFilter.applyFil​ter(ControlFilter.java:733)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.ControlFilter.doFilter​(ControlFilter.java:1143)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.MultipartRequestFilter​.applyFilter(MultipartRequestFilter.java:79)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.BaseFilter.doFilter(Ba​seFilter.java:53)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.I18nFilter.applyFilter​(I18nFilter.java:44)
com.kintana.core.web.filter.Log4jFilter.applyFilte​r(Log4jFilter.java:43)
org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doF​ilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo​ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo​ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationV​alve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:175)
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.inv​oke(JaccContextValve.java:74)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(​StandardHostValve.java:126)
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke​(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok​e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic​e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H​ttp11Processor.java:869)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11​ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt​ocol.java:664)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process​Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr​ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR​unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

5 REPLIES
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Re: Staffing Profile Error (java.lang​.NullPoint​erExceptio​n:)

Hi, Customs09,

This looks like a data-related issue. Is this error occuring for all staffing profiles or for one or more specific staffing profiles? Is this a new staffing profile or an existing one?

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Customs09
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alex,

This is only for one particular staffing profile and this is NOT a new one but and existing staffing profile

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi

I suppose that this is version 7.5, correct?

My best guess is that there might be a duplicate row in the sp_position table for STAFFING_PROFILE_SEQ. When you check the table, check if the seq are in order starting with a zero. If not, then you need to run a sql to clean up the dirty data.

1) backup table rsc_resource_assignments;

2) delete from rsc_resource_assignments ra where ra.RESOURCE_ASSIGNMENT_ID in(staffing_profile_id);

replace staffing profile id with the correct value(s)

Best regards,

Dirk

- tokens always welcome -

AShameem
Super Collector

Hi Drik,

I am also facing similar issue. I had deleted some positions from staffing profile, after that PPM neither  allow me to add new position or nor delete any position from this staffing profile.

Any clue.

Regards,

Shameem

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Shameem,

your post seems to indicate that you are able to OPEN the Staffing Profile, thus the issue is bound to be somewhat different.

Can you please post the PPM-version as well as the stack that you receive when you try to add or remove the SP-position? When does the error occur - directly when you try to edit the SP or when you try to save it?

If you only recieve a GUID-exception but no stack, please search for the GUID in the serverlog and then post it here.

thanks.

Best regards,

Dirk

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event