Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Server keep hanging

Highlighted
Wang guowen
Trusted Contributor.

Server keep hanging

Hi all , my database(Oracle) and PPM application just been set up in different server.
Both of them are having 8gb of memory and high end specs.
However when i try accessing the ppm and use it's functionality , it does not respond and when i look into the logs , it show the following logs:

server:Kintana RMI worker thread-7:SystemErr:2010/08/19-09:28:40.465 SGT: java.l
ang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
server:Kintana RMI worker thread-7:SystemOut:2010/08/19-09:29:09.847 SGT: Error

It had been happening many time and i need to bounce the ppm service or restart the server.

Need the help of experts here for solutions.Many thanks in advanced.
4 REPLIES
Wang guowen
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Server keep hanging

On top of that error i also hit the following problem when i try to import ppm objects into it.

Java stack trace:
Unable to connect. Either no server is running or those servers that are running
are not accepting connections.
nested detail:
Import failed
shygirl
Super Contributor.

Hi,

You can check the attached document. It is the PPM8.0 deployment best practices.
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.

If I remember correctly the permgen space of a JVM is set to be fairly low. Try adding the following line for each cluster node to your server.conf:
com.kintana.core.server.SERVER_MAX_PERM_SIZE=256m
When we had the error OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space this helped us.

At least on Windows (other OS too?) the JVMs run in 32bit even if the OS is 64, so there is a limit as to how much memory the JVM can use. setting the conf parameter even higher (and the one for SERVER_MAX_HEAP_SIZE too) won't help. Add cluster nodes instead.
Wang guowen
Trusted Contributor.

it fix the problem.
Thanks