Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Server Down

Highlighted
vamsee_1
Respected Contributor.

Server Down

Hi All,

Our test server is down. We were trying to install SP17 patch to our test server V6.0 and in the process in oreder to take a backup instead of copying the file system we moved the server fiel system and since then the server does not come up.

When we are trying to compile using kJSPCompiler.sh scirpt it gives an error in the attachment. It s basically a jspC error. Also when we try to start the server it goes upto a point (as per the server log file) where the server mode is NORMAL but then it hangs there.

I have already raised this ticket with the support team and as per their suggestions have upgraded the SDK version to 1.4.2_12 and also checked if he Environement Variables point to the correct Java version.

Just to let you know our server is on Windows OS and there is a dev server already running on the same machine.

Request you to suggest some remedy for this problem.

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Server Down

Hi,

A couple of questions,

1. Did you move the file system on a different IP address?

2. Did you move the file system within the same machine but on a different folder?

Please let know.

Also, before compiling the JSPs, can you try starting the server by sh kStart.sh from cygwin and check the error messages that it gives and post those errors here. That should probably tell where exactly the issue might be.
vamsee_1
Respected Contributor.

We actually moved the server file system to a different location on the same machine.

I have attached the detailed server log file for your reference.

Appreciate your concern and time.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

You will need to make a couple of changes in the application server and o/s for this move of file structure,

1. Run through the server.conf file and check the parameters that require the path of the application server. Mainly you may need to change only these two parameters,

com.kintana.core.server.BASE_PATH
com.kintana.core.server.ATTACHMENT_DIRNAME

Please check if you have already modified them or not with the new folder path after the files were moved to another folder location.

2. On the operating system, check if the o/s user for the ppm application has the admin rights on the new folder where you have moved all the application server.

After you verify both the above points, then the server should start properly. I don't think you will need to make any other changes to the file system if you have only moved the file system and no other changes in either application server or the database servers are made or location, schema or anything. Let me know if it still does not start, then we can check on any other issues that may be causing this.
vamsee_1
Respected Contributor.

Hey Darshan... Thanks for those clues.

We initially moved the folder to a different location but then restored the folder to the same location where it was earlier. But please do note that the restored folder was from a backup and not from the folder that was moved that happens everyday and is kept at a different location.

I did try and check for O/S grant permissions. What i did was right clicked on the folder and checked for security for SVC_MITG user and gave him full control. Is this correct. Let me know if there is some other way of doing it.

After trying all your suggestions the server still does not come up.

Please suggest.
vamsee_1
Respected Contributor.

Well to be more clear... Since the server file system was moved from its original location we restored this file system the following way.

1. There is a cold backup taken of the server every day and the backup of the file system was taken from this backup and put in wher it had to be originally.

Now i definitely fell that there is some security premissions problem to the ITG users.

I would like to know what all security premissions are given to the ITG User and how do we give them.

Our server is on Windows 2003 and then ITG version is 6.0 SP15.

Help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Deepak
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

1. I saw your serverLog.txt file again and I couldn't see any write permission error. So it's possible that the ITG o/s user may be having the read/write permissions on the file system.

2. But to make sure again ask the Windows o/s sys admin to double check or give permissions on the root ITG folder (and all files and folders under it).

3. Also, try starting the server from the cygwin instead of starting and stopping the services (not sure if you already may have tried this).

4. Also, do not run the kJSPCompiler.sh script for now, till all the issues get resolved.

5. Also try to delete the ITG service and create again.

6. Can you put the logging to Debug level and then post here the serverLog.txt and JDBC log files? That may help in tracing the error at more granular level.