Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separation of data query - Can PPM separate data to make it invisable to different user groups?

Highlighted
Jinglis
Occasional Advisor

Separation of data query - Can PPM separate data to make it invisable to different user groups?

Hi All,

I have a customer who wants to integrate a new user group into their current PPM solution for a short period of time for the use of Project management and Time sheeting. They will be using the exact same governance model that is currently in place, ie. all the same configuraiton and policies currently setup in PPM for the new user group.

The question is, can I make it so this new user group cannot see any of the current data ie. users, projects, requests, everything? Instead when a user of this new group logs in, all they see is the projects/ requests associated with this group and nothing else.

The setup is like you have two companies using the one system without visibilty of the data from both.

Much in the same concept of folders for OVSD.

Any assistance to the positive of negative would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

James

6 REPLIES
dirkf
Honored Contributor

Re: Separation of data query - Can PPM separate data to make it invisable to different user groups?

Hi James,

I don't know if this is applicable or not, BUT if you are able to add a new security group for these users, then create (via copy) new project type(s) and request types and use access grants for THESE users / security group  as participants only, then they should only be able to see this data.

Best regards,

Dirk

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Separation of data query - Can PPM separate data to make it invisable to different user groups?

Hi James and Dirk,

You may not differentiate projects with project types. It depends on current  project type(s). And please keep in mind that when you create a project it inherits own settings then you couldn't change them.

If you selected "Only Participants" setting in Project Security tab in Project Settings, there is a chance to differentiate projects.

I couldn't suggest you any solution without knowing your current configurations. I must know some of them below:

• Project Type(s) Settings
  • User Access tab of  project and other request types
  • Workflow security content whole workflows. just list of users, tokens etc workflow by workflow, not step by step
  • Security groups and their access grants

There is no solution consist of one click :smileyhappy:

If you send me these configs, I will do my best.

Regards,

Celil

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Jinglis
Occasional Advisor

Hi Celil and Dirk,

Thank you for your responses,

I was hoping to avoid the need to create new Request/ Project types/ Workflows etc. if I can initially.

Given the type of information you need to review Celil, how do I contact you outside of this forum?

Kind regards,

James

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jinglis,

Sorry for late answer, I haven't followed forum because of the migration of HP community forum.

My private email address is, director@ppmdiary.com

Celil

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

I would avoid creating new RT/Project Types since this will generate more trouble in the reporting area.

Instead, make use of built-in functionality for security based on workflow participants for the Request Type and Project Type security settings for the Project Type. Also, make sure that View all Project access grant is not provided to this new Security Group.

hope this helps

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

One more note: if you go by my approach, OOTB portlets and reports (including the search feature) WILL check to see if the user has access to specific entities.

You have to make sure that you perform this check in your custom portlets/reports, if any.

cheers
alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event