Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Sending notification to multiple email adderesses

Highlighted
b460
Super Contributor.

Sending notification to multiple email adderesses

Hi,

I have a rule that creates a string with email addresses inside a text field, once triggered by certain fields.

The string is formatted as such: john@work.com; harry@work.com; jane@work.com

I am trying to use this string to send email notifications to the people listed. However this does nto seem to work.

When defining the recipient of the notification I select "Enter a User Defined Token", add the token the email string is stored in and select "Email Addess" as the recipient type.

Is PPM able to send email notification to all the emails listed in the string? Or is it only capable of sending to a single email address?
14 REPLIES
Vinod Jadhav
Super Contributor.

Re: Sending notification to multiple email adderesses

Hi,

Use '#@#' as a email address separator instread of semicolon (;). It works. While building a string you can put replace(string_name,';','#@#') in the query.

Cheers
Vinod
b460
Super Contributor.

Hi,

I used '#@#' as a seperator but it still did not work.

When I used '#@#' as a seperator in the rule, it was saving the string in the database using ';' as a seperator.

Is this how it is meant to behave?
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

I tried this from my end and it seems to work this way.

Can you write a rule and the rule converts the multiselect Email Addresses to a single varchar and ';' is replaced by ',' and can you refer that field as email ID?

This is worth to give a try, but I hope there will be some difficulties. Kindly advice if you face any issues.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Vinod Jadhav
Super Contributor.

Yes, I think through rule, string of email addresses would get saved as ';' separated only. Its PPM behavior I guess.

I had also the same requirements but I make a string of email addresses (#@# separated) through PL/SQL procedure and update one field. Later through token of that field, I send notifications to those email addresses.

-Vinod
b460
Super Contributor.

Hi Vinod,

Thats exactly what I am doing, but it still does not work (we are using PPM 7.1)

When certain drop down lists are selected as "yes", an email address is added to the string.

Attached is PL/SQL procedure I am using in the rule to populate the text field that contains the email string. The text field is using the validation "Text Field - 200".

Should I maybe using a different validation on the field that stores the email address string?

b460
Super Contributor.

Also, if there is only 1 email address in the string then the notification is sent. As soon as there is more than 1 email address in the string it will not send.
b460
Super Contributor.

Anyone have any ideas why this is not working?
Mohan Raju C
Regular Contributor.

Hi,

It should work when you give #@# between the e-mail IDs that you populate thry rule. Can you pls. check the Notification History Report if all the recepients are in the Recepient List.

b460
Super Contributor.

Hi,

After running the Notification History Report, the emails are in the Recepient List as follows:

john@exampleaddress.com;
harry@exampleaddress.com;

However the email notifications are still not being sent out. They will only send if only one email address is populated in the string.
Mohan Raju C
Regular Contributor.

Hi,

Can you try populating the user ids in the hidden parameter of that field and in the workflow step provide that hidden parameter and specify the Recepient Type as 'username'.

Please try and let me know if this works.

Regards,
b460
Super Contributor.

I cannot populate the hidden parameter with the user id as the email addresses in the string are from people who are not part of PPM.

As they do not have an account on PPM, I cannot use user ID's, only an email address.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

At the most to how many people you will send the email?

I have not tried to send e-mail based on multiple e-mail in a single field and also I am not sure whether it will work or not.

You can seperate the Email address with each email address in a single hidden field, You can use all these hidden fields in sending the email.

Regards,
Mahendran M
b460
Super Contributor.

I could implement this but, the problem with having a hidden field for each field that populates an email address when selected, is that some fields have more than one email address that a notification needs to be sent to.

So I will still have the same problem with PPM unable to send notifications as more than one email address will be in the field.

When I add a new recipient for the notification as a "User Defined Token" and recipient type "Email Address", is this recipient type able to send to multiple addresses or just the one? I canâ t find it documented anywhere?
Jim Bowen
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

I tried everything I could think of to do what you are trying to do, and we ended up writing database procedures to do it. It works. Unfortunately, it means you need the ability to send emails from the database. That was no problem for us, but might be for others.

The other downside is that all of the formatting must be done in the procedure, not in PPM.

Jim