Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Sending Notifications with the change of the Assigned to Field

Highlighted
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sending Notifications with the change of the Assigned to Field

Hi Friends,
I am having a request type and I need a notification system in which if the 'Assigned to' field is changed, It will have send mail to the Old name which is already there, to the new name which is added now and to the Project Manager.

Is it possible.... Please help me if any of you had already done.

Thanks,
Mahendran M

Regards,
Mahendran M
3 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Sending Notifications with the change of the Assigned to Field

Hi Mahendran,

I don't have the entire solution right now, but I can get you closer to it. May be with a little research or alternative options you will be able to do this. Some part of you may already be knowing.

Here's how it will work,

1. Open the Request Type then go to the Notifications tab.
2. Choose the field as 'Assigned To' in the auto-complete field.
3. In the email option, choose the PM token as [REQ.KNTA_PROJECT_MANAGER], so email will go the project manager.
4. In the email option again, choose the assigned to token as [REQ.ASSIGNED_TO_USERNAME], so email will go to the new assigned to user also.
5. Now remains only the previous assigned user, for that not sure if direct token is available for that, but otherwise, you can create a hidden field and write a rule on that field that whenever the assigned to field is changed you store the current assigned to user in that field. Then use the token of that hidden field in the User Defined Token in the email option again in the Notifications tab, Assigned To field (same as how the earlier two email ids are setup above).

Once that is done, then all the three users will get the email on Assigned To field change. Also, in the body of the email you can use these two tokens that will automatically show the previous and the new assigned user names in the body of the email. The token are,

[NOTIF.OLD_VALUE] and [NOTIF.NEW_VALUE]

These tokens will display names of previous and new users in the body of the email but I don't think you can use these tokens in the email options as that will require the above mentioned other tokens. You can prefix and suffix any text in the body of the email with these tokens.

Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Darshan,
As you said Mailing the PM and New person is easy, I think that Old value will also work, but how can I store the OLD value in the hidden field, When ever I change the value, How can I take Old value to the hidden field.

Are you suggesting to maintain Notes History, so that we can fetch the name from there, But the mail will be triggered as soon as I save the request(Please correct me if I am wrong).

Please advice me

Regards,
Mahendran M
Michael.Ebert
Super Contributor.

Hi Mahendran,

to retrieve the old value of the Assigned To try to create a rule which reads the old data from table kcrt_requests.
Due to the new data has not yet been commited, it will read the last saved value.
To use Request ID ("[REQ.REQUEST_ID]") in SQL you need to add the corresponding field to dependencies.

Haven't tried it myself but should work

kind regards
Michael