Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling: MSP plugin vs. WEB interface vs. Workbench in 6.0

Highlighted
Alexei Malinovs
Regular Collector

Scheduling: MSP plugin vs. WEB interface vs. Workbench in 6.0

Hello!

My organisation is using Mercury 6.0 and testing PPM 7.5 to check whether we want to upgrade. I'm looking for your experiencecs regarding creating/planning project schedule in 7.5 and usability of PPM User interface in this respect.

In 6.0 we use Workbench User Interface that is MSP like functionality. It is ok although slow at times and missing several importang features like task lags, task filters etc.

In 7.5 there are 2 ways to edit schedule:
1. via WEB interface
2. via MSP plugin
Workbench schedule creation was discontinued in 7.5.

I played with both WEB interface and MSP plugin and here is my experience:
Added tasks filters,task lags, additional constraint types is great.However, means to update schedule looks not that great after short testing.

Web interface is good for small projects with small ammount of tasks. For bigger projects it good only in read only mode since it is slow, updating tasks information is not user friendly, you cannot see whole schedule at once etc.

MSP plugin looks good and works well from first sight but it doesn't support personal calendars and has slightly different scheduling algorythm that might lead to schedule in PPM look different from schedule in MSP that is terrible IMHO :)

I feel now that 6.0 had more consistent Workbench User Interface for schedule editing then 7.5 with WEB interface and MSP plugin. What is your experience in general?

In particular, how do you solve the problem that MSP Plugin doesn't support personal calendars and have slightly different scheduling algorythm that leads to different schedules in PPM and MSP?

Cheers,
Alexei

PS: Above is my initial experience and might be completelly wrong :)
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event