Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Save Requests without filling required fields

Highlighted
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Save Requests without filling required fields

Hi,

I am using PPM 8.0 SP2. Is there a possibility to save requests when the requests sit in middle of workflow and some mandatory fields not filled.

I know SAVE AS DRAFT works for Not Submitted step and would like to know if similar is available for workflow step statuses as well.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
7 REPLIES
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Save Requests without filling required fields

I read in the what's new what changed there is a function for it. I am not sure about that.

I will suggest a age old method.

Please create an OR Step and place it next to your decision step and assign a status to that.

Make your required fields mandatory in OR Step status, And remove the mandatory mark in the decision step status.

So that it will ask for the field to be filled in when you move out of the decision step.

Kindly let me know if there are any difficulties.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi Mahen,

Thanks that was really helpful.

You know my users are so picky on the fields and display. They want to display asterisks in the field prompt and also want to save requests in between statuses.

The only option i am looking for is i should be able to save in middle of process when fields are required.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hum, I will let you know if any idea strikes me.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Andrea Loi
Super Contributor.

They are asking you to see the mandatory fields, but to be able to save if tey are blank.
These fields are not mandatory, but they want to see them,
It seems that you need to highlight them in a different way. For example you could use a color.
I hope that it's useful
Andrea
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi Andrea,

I think you were saying that i should set the field prompt to have asterisks. But it would happen that user can proceed to next step without filling the details of so called required fields.

Please let me know if i got your points and if this is case, then i hope it will not work for me.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

I am seeing the following text in the Whats New.pdf document.

HP Demand Management

Saving Partially Completed Fields

With this release, when a request action leads to a page requiring entry of fields before the workflow can progress to the next step, users can now save a set of partial entries and return to the request later to complete the data on the page. Previously, users could only cancel out of the page and partial entries they had made were lost.

Problem is i am not able to find any config parameter or configuration change.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
Andrea Loi
Super Contributor.

Well, it was not a strictly technocal matter. They are asking you something different from highlighting mandatory fields, so a different highlighting way is logical.
Background color or berder color could be an idea.

I am suggesting it because in one project I did a large work to allow entering a status even if some mandatory fields were null. At the end it was easier and more clear to follow normal PPM way.

Of course explore other solutions (just let me know).

Have a good morning
Andrea