Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

SSH in a clustered environment

Highlighted
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

SSH in a clustered environment

Hi,
If we have clustered environment, is it a sin to enable SSH on all the Clustered environment servers?

Please advice.

Regards,
Mahendran M
1 REPLY
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SSH in a clustered environment

CONFIRMATION FROM HP SUPPORT

According to your Environment you currently have 6 production servers. Since you are using a clustered environment one of them must be the primary.

You told me the primary was Production1 and that you have as backup Prodcution2, in those two you have enabled ssh, in case there is needed any migration between them or from Prod1/Prod2 to other servers.

Now you have left 4 servers without ssh. Let’ s have a scenario in which Prod1 and Prod2 fail, you will use Prod3 as backup. When a user is trying to make a migration then you will encounter an error. Why? Since you have not enabled/installed ssh for the current server. It can be the same if you are not using Prod3 as primary server but you want to migrate something to it or from it. In those two cases you will not be able to do that, which is bad.

As I recommend you it’s better to install and enable ssh in each and every server to avoid future problems like those ones I mentioned or other ones. If we have the same scenario I described above and you have ssh enabled in Prod3 server then it will continue working as if nothing happened, doing migrations just like Prod 1 or 2.

If you do not want the service to be running, just disable it from running when you start the OS and choose to run it manually when you need it. That way it will be ready to run anytime you need.

Regards,
Mahendran M