Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

SQL Server & PPM

Highlighted
Chris Burley
New Member.

SQL Server & PPM

I have an interesting requirement and I would appreciate feedback.

Our requirement is to query specific financial data from a SQL Server database on a page refresh and write data to the same SQL Server database on a commit. In other words real-time or near real time(within seconds).

Is it feasible for fields in PPM (specifically fields that store data in the project details or in the budget/financial benefit modules) to read from and write to another database (SQL Server 2005)? It can be accomodated through a trigger, a separate table or any means necessary, but the two way feed needs to at the least appear real time.

Has anyone here implemented something like this or had professional services implement?
3 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SQL Server & PPM

I have not read it to the end, but this may be a good point to start:
http://dbaforums.org/oracle/index.php?showtopic=4808
jon tcps
Frequent Contributor.

First of all you need to create the DB link so you can read information from the SQL Server DB to your PPM fields.

Once you have the DB Link you can create an "update" trigger on the PPM table (let's say KCRT_REQUEST_DETAILS) to make any DML operation you might want in another PPM table or some table on your SQL Server DB.

Adding triggers to PPM standard tables is not recomended unless you're very sure that you are not affecting other objects. Just assure in your trigger code that it would not be executed for other request types or other fields using the same parameter.
Chris Burley
New Member.

Thanks for the replies. I think we've figured out a path forward and i appreciate your advice.