The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Notification- help

Highlighted
RRK_19
Regular Collector

SMS Notification- help

Hi,

I need  to send SMS to concerned people when the request reaches a specific status.

Advice me how this can be done?

We are using PPM 7.1 SP6.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES
Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Re: SMS Notification- help

I think, we don't have any out of the box solution for this.

But you can use any externat paid API to acheive your requirement.

You can take reference from http://code.google.com/p/textmagic-sms-api-java/

Or try google, you may get some thing....

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
RRK_19
Regular Collector

SMS must be sent by the system to the user automatically...
Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Yes using SMS gateway... you can create your custom Java Client that will sent the SMS automatically from the server.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Kerim KILIC
Frequent Visitor

i searched this thing before also, sms gateway requeired if you want to do it yourself, also some companies

do it for yourself; what i mean is that you buy an email address from them you send email to this address and these mails send as SMS to people. 

RRK_19
Regular Collector

Thanks you Mishra.

Can you explain how i can do that. because i havent worked on java client w.r.t PPM.

where will be the mobile number be stored?

And it will be helpfull if u let me knw wat are the prerequisites required.

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

It's usually pretty easy to send an email using PPM's standard workflow notifications and have it arrive as a text message on someone's phone as long as you have the phone number and gateway for them.

I've done this before by using User Data to store a person's SMS email address (usually something like number@txt.att.net) and then putting a custom token in the notification's "to" field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS, some carriers provide an email gateway for their subscribers:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On some carriers non-subscribers can send messages to a subscriber's phone using an Email-to-SMS gateway. Additionally, many carriers, including AT&T, T-Mobile USA,[36] Sprint,[37] and Verizon Wireless,[38] offer the ability to do this through their respective websites.

For example, an AT&T subscriber whose phone number was 555-555-5555 would receive e-mails addressed to 5555555555@txt.att.net as text messages. AT&T subscribers can easily reply to these SMS messages, and the SMS reply is sent back to the original email address. Sending email to SMS is free for the sender, but the recipient is subject to the standard delivery charges. Only the first 160 characters of an email message can be delivered to a phone, and only 160 characters can be sent from a phone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the intended recipients for your messages can be accessed this way, configure a notification on the workflow step to send email to their SMS email address.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event