Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules not triggering on prop -> project

Highlighted
B Swanson
Regular Collector

Rules not triggering on prop -> project

Hello,

I am on PPM 7.1, SP6. I have a Proposal request which spawns a project via the built-in "create project" step.

Fields with the same token / validation are copying over fine, but the "Apply On Create" rules for the Project do not seem to be triggering. Anyone else have this problem?

Any solutions other than building execution steps to do the same thing in the project workflow?
6 REPLIES
Richard Woodman
Super Collector

Re: Rules not triggering on prop -> project

All rules only fire when manualy executed. Fields changed by auto-execution steps (which is what the Create Project step is) will never trigger any rules, including the "Apply On Create" rules.
B Swanson
Regular Collector

I actually got a reply from HP on this... apparently in Version 7.1 when you spawn a project from a proposal, the Apply on Create rules are triggered first followed by the copying of all fields with the same token name. In version 6.0 and using the Create Request execution step the fields with the same token copy over from the proposal and then the rules trigger.

They had no information on why they architected it that way, doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, if you are going to run the "On Create" rules then copy the values, at least cause that copy to trigger the "Apply on Change" rules. Oh well.

The recommended solution is to build executions in your project workflow to perform the same actions the rules did in the old version.
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Hi.
This rule should work, itself checked.
See instruction in attachment.
Good luck
B Swanson
Regular Collector

Yes, a rule that populates constants will work. The problem comes if you try to run a rule on values that get copied over from the proposal. Because the rules trigger, then they copy values in from the proposal you can run into issues.

For example, in proposals we have an actual start / end date field which is also in the project form. However, in the project form the users wanted to include a calculated "duration" between the start and end. In version 6.0, the on create rule worked great in the project - it would take the start / end dates from the proposal and then trigger the calculation. In version 7.1 the exact same rule triggers before the start / end get copied over from the proposal so the duration is blank. Yes, I know there are workarounds... but they can get messy. And I have confirmed with support that this behavior is as designed. Just not sure why they would design it that way.
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Hi
Use in proposal and project same validation,
token and parametr. For example in proposal exist field 'actual satart date':
Token:AS_ACTUAL_START_DATE
Validation: Date
Parameter45
This field attributes in projecr can be same as in proposal.
This settings can be work.
Łukasz Czech
Collector

Just to provide more detail to B solution with additional Execution step.

Case: Copy Request No. to another field
(this will not be solved by Apply on Creation or Apply on Field Change rules)

Solution:
1. Create new Execution step with following details:
- Execution type: Workflow Step Commands
- Validation: WF: Standard Execution Results
- Processing Type: Immediate
- Enabled: Yes
- Page resp: Finish Execution before..
- Execution Command steps:
ksc_store REQD.P.PROPOSAL_ID = [REQ.REQUEST_ID]
2. Place your step in workflow
3. Add transition from the first step in workflow to this new execution step
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event