Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules Log

Highlighted
Katy Cabral
Regular Collector

Rules Log

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a log of which rules are fired for a request type as it moves through a workflow? I know the transaction history and the graphical view can show what happens from a workflow perspective, but is there anything for rules?
10 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Re: Rules Log

Hey Katy,

Do you want to view anything on the screen itself or in the log files? Not sure from what you have mentioned.

If you are referring to the log files, then you should be able to see it in the JDBC logs. But enabling the JDBC logs may affect the system performance. Please let know what exactly you are looking for to get to the problem and solution areas.
Katy Cabral
Regular Collector

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I have a request where fields were cleared out, I am guessing based on the change in another field, but i cannot determine which rule caused this. I would like to be able to see a report of the rules that were called during a request so that i can troubleshoot the issue. Does that make sense?
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

You probably already know this but....

Are you sure it is a rule causing this? Could also be a status dependency change causing fields to be cleared...
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Hello Katy,

For this you won't also need to enable logging. You will be able to find this out by running the 'Request Type Detail Report' report type. In the report category choose 'Administrative' to select this report type. In this report type select the same request type name in both From and To fields of this report type. Once you run this report it will show you all the details of the complete request type. Also, it will have status dependencies for each field on each status and also the Rules sections, where it will show you all the rules one after the other with dependency fields, result fields, sql query, etc. all the details. From there you will be able to make out either which status dependency or which rule is causing this issue.
Katy Cabral
Regular Collector

Thanks,

I checked out both the status dependencies in the request type as well as the request type detail report (which listed the status dependencies anyway), but I cannot determine why these fields were cleared out. The only rule that I have to clear them is based on a change to a field that was not even editable during that status.
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Will it be possible for you to attach here the Request Type Details Report for that request type? That may help a bit if few sets of other eyes also take a look at it and someone finds the root cause of the issue. Also, let know at least a couple of field names that got cleared out, so those fields can be checked in the request type details report.
Katy Cabral
Regular Collector

Thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help!

The fields that are being cleared are:

-All Required Docs Received
-Doc Receipt- Cert. of Auth
-Doc Receipt- CM Master Agreement
-Doc Receipt- Acct Recon Svc. Req.
-Doc Receipt- Ck. Image Svc. Req.
-Doc Receipt- Opt Out Cert
-Doc Receipt- Bus. Res.
-Outstanding Docs
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Katy, it looks like Rule #26 (Setup Required = ASAP) will also fire Rule #62 (which triggers on ALL values of the fields that #26 sets), which does the clearing of those fields. Any other opinions?
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

It looks like many rules have the dependency fields for 'Setup Required' and 'Effective Start Date', e.g. rule nos. 3, 6, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, ........... 62, ..... for the 'Setup Required' field

and 62, 77, 82, 83 for the 'Effective Start Date'.

Due to this at any given status when anybody changes a values in these fields, the rules will get fired. All other fields remaining as it is, since this rule as the sql as

SELECT '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '' FROM dual

so it clears out these fields.

Either rule no.62 should be modified in some way based on how everything else is there in this request type, or other rules based on when users fire them due to any field change needs should be changed some how. There are too many rules on the same field, so each rule by rule and at each possible status where the change of field value may be done by the users, this may need to be analyzed.

Is this happening only at a particular step/status? If yes, then everything happening at that step for all these rules needs to be probably checked.
Katy Cabral
Regular Collector

Thank you,

I'll take a look at this. As far as I can tell, it is not happening at a specific status, but I will start tracking the information to identify a trend.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event