The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday noon (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday noon (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rule to Update a link field

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Raka_1
Collector

Rule to Update a link field

I have 2 fields one has the request id number as reference to some other reqest and other one should be the link that takes you to the reference request. What I want is to have the link auto populate based on the request id number. It should be like I enter Request Number in 1234 in one field then the link should be populated that takes the user to the Request 1234
12 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rule to Update a link field

Hello Raka,
the sql for that rule schould look like this
SELECT ' ' FROM dual
hth
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor
Solution

Same basic idea, but the value I am creating for capturing the product of a ksc_copy_request command is:

[COPIED_REQUEST_ID]

In some cases, the second instance of the token holding the request id is not needed but sometimes it is. This format should adapt more easily to any future restructuring of the product.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

I clipped the first tag off the text. It should be:

[COPIED_REQUEST_ID]
Raka_1
Collector

Jim-

How are you using this rule. I am using it in the Rules section. Should I use it with Workflow.

Hi,

Jims solution should work in the rule section. But the field must be set to Readonly.

Regards
Volker

Sorry I forgot:
Validtion of destination field must be URL.

Regards
Volker
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

We place html in fields with rules or ksc_store commands. As mentioned, the field must be read-only. We often use text fields for this with embedded links included with other descriptive text.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

I was able to get the following to work in a rule with a read only text field. The token holds a request number. The link opens the request in a new window.

select '[REQD.P.FIELD_NAME]',
'[REQD.P.FIELD_NAME]' from dual
Raka_1
Collector

Jim-
can you please present me some screen shot of the Rule. I tried what you told me to but for some reasons it is not giving me the link that I want..... Field 1 has any number and field 2 (Dispaly Only text field) should get the link upon filed change. Also how would i use ksc_store.
Raka_1
Collector

I get the rule to work upon field change but then when I go to the next step the field only has the number in it not the whole link. Is there something else i need to do
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Snapshots of the rule and the field definition are attached.
Raka_1
Collector

Thanks Jim. It worked for me
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event