cancel

Rule Dependency for Radio Button fields

Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Rule Dependency for Radio Button fields

Hello everyone.

We are currently on 7.5 sp7. 

I usually try to aviod using Radio buttons in these kinds of shcenarios since they don't seem to be available in Request Rule dependencies but I don't seem to have choice here for various reasons. I have like 12 radio button fields on a request and we wanted to make sure people at least select 1 of them as Yes before they can submit the Request. This would have worked wonderfully with UI rules for other fields but I am not sure if its possible for radio button fields. Can anyone please suggest me some technique/workaround that I could use in the Request. I am currently using an execution step to check and then route back the request to the submitter. But it would have been great if i could pop up a message or something. Any suggetion is appreciated.

Thanks.

-Raj 

4 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Rule Dependency for Radio Button fields

Hi Raj,

I have to tell you that this is a known product limitation and there is already an enhancement request logged for it:

ENHANCEMENT# 206503 - 'Radio Button' is not available as a dependency in request rules

This is currently not documented but RnD have created a documentation a while ago for it: QCCR1L26328.
You can track its progress on the following link:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/FID/DOCUMENTUM_QCCR1L26328

I don't have a possible solution for you, thus I hope someone will be able to point you to a workaround to assist in your issue.

Have a great day and week.

Best regards,

Dirk

Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Raj,

The workaround for your implementation would be to insert a seperate Java script function in the request. It can be done as:

1. Create a hidden Text-area field
  2. In the workflow, prior to the your action step; create an execution step which will insert the Java script function for validating your request i.e. atleast one Radio Button must be selected
  3. Exact java-script example can be found at http://www.felgall.com/javatip2.htm
  4. Update the hidden text-area field like (in actual you can insert your desired java-script function/code)

update kcrt_request_details

set parameter15 = '<!--HTML--><script type="text/javascript"> alert("This is my first    JavaScript!");</script>',

visible_parameter15 = '<!--HTML--><script type="text/javascript"> alert("This is my first JavaScript!");</script>'

where request_id = req_id;

5. Finally clear this Java-script content in the next execution step.

Hope this work around helps...

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you should be aware that such code is no longer permitted starting with PPM 9 :)

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Dirk, Utkarsh & Alex - Thank you all for your suggestions !

Thanks for the enahacnement Req # Dirk. Glad to know it is atleast being considered. Severity is listed as Serious so hopefully we will get something soon :-)

Utakrsh's idea looks great here but We have already started preparing for 9.1 upgrade so with the info Alex provided I might have to be satisfied with the check and re-route that we are using now :-(
I might try that java script suggestion after I upgrade my DEV to 9.1 to see if there is anything we can do to make that work.

Thansk Again  Everyone !
-Raj