The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rough estimate of time needed to upgrade to PPM 8.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
ljokirk

Rough estimate of time needed to upgrade to PPM 8.0

This is my first post so please bear with me. I'm tasked with figuring out an estimate to upgrade to PPM 8.0 from 7.5. We just installed PPM 7.5 last year and have applied the first three service packs. Consultants did the bulk of the installation.

I have no previous upgrade experience to gauge how much time it might take to do an upgrade. Would someone with previous upgrade experience with PPM please provide some estimating ideas for a PPM upgrade (requirements gathering through actual upgrade)?
6 REPLIES
Mahen M
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Rough estimate of time needed to upgrade to PPM 8.0

Hi,
We have estimated 4 months for migrating from PPM 7.1 to PPM 8.0

We have to move the upgrade through 7.5 and since various entities use PPM, We are having this much time.

Our upgrade is done by a HP consultant, so not sure how much time it may take if you are doing the upgrade.

Thank you.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

That depends primarily on how much functionality you use and how many customizations you have. For us it meant roughly half the effort compared to 6.0->7.1.
This time we were lucky because so far we were using financial management on a very high level, that was no problem for the migration to 8.0.
mcmunnd1
Super Collector

I agree - it depends on how much functionality you are using. We just recently went from 7.5 to 8.0 but only use Resource Management. It took us about 4 months with about 7 people on the team, sort of part time. We don't have much customization, but we did do some. It took about 850 hours including training the users on the new functionality.
ljokirk

Thanks everyone. Your input is very helpful. We're pretty much using most of the PPM functionality except for Issue Management and Risk Management.
Jaylen Smith
Regular Collector

We're planning on migrating from 7.5 to 8.0 later this year. We were estimating we could easily upgrade in three months, but now I'm concerned we may not have allotted enough time.

For those that have upgraded so far, what takes the bulk of the time?

Updating Customizations?
Regression Testing?
Updating Existing Request Types, Workflows, etc?

Thanks in advance.
sradtke
Regular Collector

I think, the upgrade depends on the activated modules and other tools. We are using PPM 7.5 SP6 together with Documentum 5.3 SP6.
We plan an upgrade to PPM 8.0. But therefore we have to upgrade Documentum aswell.

So please can you confirm, that the effort of 850 hours results for the PPM upgrade only or together with Documentum?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event