The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resource Roles and Time Reporting

Highlighted
M_A_A
Super Collector

Resource Roles and Time Reporting

Our organization likes to report workers hours based on their roles at the time of reporting their time.  We have set up our users in the Resource Management  with Titles and Roles as either Functional Analysts, Developers, Business Analysts, etc.

My concern is that people change roles in our organization, and thus their Titles and Roles will change.  I cannot see how HP PPM will be associating a user's Role or Title historically, and correctly, with their past time entries.  It seems I will only be able to report any past time periods with only being able to associate their current Title or Role with them, not necessarily their Role when they entered their time in the past..

I can only see that a user's Role or Title is reported with the current entry in the user's table.  Is this correct?

Before we implemented HP PPM Time Management Module, our previous Time Reporting System would capture a user's Role with each Time Sheet Line Detail, allowing us to accurately report time spent, by Role, on our Time reports.  Is this available in the HP PPM Time Management Module?

2 REPLIES
MIF
Occasional Contributor

Re: Resource Roles and Time Reporting

Hi M_A_A,

In HP PPM (also in real life) a resource can be assigned to a task for fulfilling a role other than his primary role. Let's say a developer sometimes can work in some projects as a tester or a project manager whatever. So role definition for a resource only means as his "primary" role. 

What you can do in your situation is that:

1) Getting role information from related (timesheet entered) project task. In this scenario, I assume, most probably wrongly,  you don't use time-sheets on requests (e.g. demands). If so requests don't have role information for resources if I remember correctly.
2) Or better, use resource pools for monitoring forecasted demands, allocations and resource loads. In this case a resource can change his resource pool from one (e.g. C# Developers) to another (e.g. Java Developers) effective from a date. System records this data historically. Actually even, that resource can participate in more than one resource pool (e.g. %60 c# %40 java development).

So in short here is my two cents. Don't use resources' primary role for getting a role dimensioned report. Use resource pools for that.

Regards,
MIF Consultancy

MIF Software & Consultancy - Istanbul
http://www.mif.com.tr
M_A_A
Super Collector

Re: Resource Roles and Time Reporting

Thank you for confirming what i suspected already from my own research, that resource title and role was not captured with each Time Reporting entry.

We have not yet begun to use the areas of Resource, Project, or Portfolio Management modules for forecasted demands, allocations and resource loads in that way, but that makes sense that those would be captured historically.  I will begin to do some research into those areas to solve this particular situation and present that as a potential solution to my management.

Again, thank you for insight.

Michael A.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event