The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Field Appearance

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jamie Pick
Regular Collector

Required Field Appearance

The out-of-the-box designation for a required field is the asterisk. Does anyone know of a way to change the field appearance to make required fields more obvious? Our business users are asking us for this and I'm not sure there's anything we can do.

Thanks!

Jamie
6 REPLIES
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Required Field Appearance

Good Day.
If you need set field required in depend on selected value in other fiel you can use advanced rule (only for 7.5).Else in version from 7.1. and... you can set field required on tan "status dependities" in request type in workbensh. or additional inf see demand CG.
Good Luck
Jamie Pick
Regular Collector

Thanks for the reply...

The question really wasn't how to make a field required, we know how to do that, it's really more of finding out if there is a way to make the appearance change to make it more obviuos which field is required. I know the dialog pops-up and says that a field is required, our business users have asked if there's a way to make it even more clear that a field is required by changing it's appearance - making it BOLD or red or something like that. Make sense?
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jamie, this is possible in 7.5 by using a request type rule. You have the ability to dynamically change the field styles (bold, field background color, etc) by defining those styles in a .css and calling them with a setFieldStyle() statement in your request type rules.

See the 7.5 DM Config Guide, advanced rules section for more info.
Jamie Pick
Regular Collector

Thanks Erik! I've read through the advanced rules, and played around a little bit with them, but was never quite sure where they'd be applicable - now I know.

Thanks again,

Jamie
jitendra rathor
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jamie,

I am also trying to change the field appearance using the OOTB function setFieldStyle in UI Rules but I am getting an error of using invalid function.

While defining rule, I coded in UI Rules box like "select setFieldStyle(coloredBorder, P_NEXT_ACTION_DATE), setFieldStyle(coloredBorder, P_NEXT_ACTION_DATE) from dual".

But its giving me error. Where coloredBorder is the Class name and P_NEXT_ACTION_DATE is token of the field.

Can you tell us what is going wrong while coding.

Regards
Jitendra
Jamie Pick
Regular Collector

I think the issue would be the syntax of the "setFieldStyle" statement - when doing this, you're calling a jsp function, not SQL, so you don't need the "select", "from", or "dual" - you would just specify it like... "setFieldStyle( )"
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event