Request field that can link to another request

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Request field that can link to another request

Hi,

We have a customer requirement to add a Table Component field in which an a different in-progress Request # can be entered and then there is a link to that request. They do no want to use the References functionality because it it the intent to order the requests by migration order.

I have been testing with the [REQ.REQUEST_ID_LINK] token for workflow email notifications, but no luck.

I have also been testing with the Link validation but no luck, either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks MUCH!
cindy
15 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Request field that can link to another request

Hi.
you could create a validation for column one that let's you select the appropriate request(ID). That validation should filter appropriately (type, status etc.). Then have a rule in your table component constructing a relative link to the request-details-page including the request_id as url-parameter and populate column two in your table with it (read-only column). The result would look like on the screenshot.
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Hi Sascha!

I was just testing something similar but with no luck so far. Nice to know that it sounds possible.

Do you have more details for the Rule to construct the relative link??

This would be fantastic!!
Thanks again!
cindy
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Hi Sascha,
I have never constructed a 'relative link' via a SQL statement. I am attaching screen shots of my attempt within the Table Component Rule along with the error message.

I'm searching the web for the syntax but if you are able to share it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
cindy
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Your select statement needs to return two values, one for the hidden value and one for the visible value. You should probably return the same value currently in your select statement twice.
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Thanks, Jim!
Yippee! That got me another step closer!!

I am able to get a link in the additional field now and it successfully takes me to the request.

I'm just wondering now if there's a way to disguise the URL so that User's can't see it....hmmmmmmm.

Anyway, attached is my latest testing.
Thanks!
cindy
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
the second value you select can be constructed like this:
''||r.description||''
If you do a:
r.request_id = [TE.P.OP_REQ_ID]
in the where section, so you can use other columns from the request like description for the visible value shown to the user.
The link in this case will open in a new window in this case.
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Thanks, Sascha!

Iâ m afraid I could not get that syntax to work. It looked like it should have so I probably missed a character. I ended up using just tokens since the validation of the field was a 'Link' Component.

I still need to have a separate field for the link but I don't see a way around it. It would be nice if we had similar functionality available like the 'References' section where a search page populates the link in the section.

If you or anyone is aware of that type of functionality, let me know. I really appreciate all the help!

cindy
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Hi.
what's the validation for the "Select Associated Request #" column like? In the validation you select (min.) 2 values, why not have the id as the hidden value, the link as the visible one and may the id again just for info, like this:
select request_id, 'Go to Request', request_id
from ...
where ...
As soon as the table is in read-mode (i.e. not editable like on your screenshot) it should show the link the way you wanted. Just the selection dialog looks a bit strange to the ordinary user then.
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Hi,

I am attaching another doc with my original 'Select Associated Request #' validation. It also includes the suggested change with its results.

Hmmmmm, this just might be an enhancement request for HP. I plan to document this gap in the customer requirement and hopefully, the user is okay with a working Link in a separate field.

Thanks for all of your help, Sascha!
cindy
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Cindy,

In your validation SQL replace

[TE.P.CINDY_ASSOC_REQ_NO]

with

'||a.request_id||'
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Hi Erik,

Bummer! I'm getting a SQL error. I believe it might be the tick marks but not sure.

Attached is the validation and the results.

Thanks!
cindy
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

You also need one each at the beginning (before the ) of that column. Your last screen-shot had them, this one does not.
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Oops! Updated with the ticks, Thanks!

No SQL error but the html doesn't seem to be resolving!

Another attachment....:)
cindy
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor
Solution

Cindy,

I just went back and re-read this thread. What I think you're wanting to do (based on your attachment in May 12, 2010 15:42:17 GMT) is not really possible, unless you are making this field read-only at some point.

Plus, in the validation, it will always display the HTML code. This is what Sascha (May 12, 2010 15:58:32 GMT) meant when he said "the selection dialog looks a bit strange".

The cleanest solution, IMO, is what you had at May 12, 2010 15:42:17 GMT.
Cindy Ramberg
Regular Collector

Ahhhh...that's what I suspected. But, I wanted to be able to verify that the customer's specific request was not possible before I informed the them of the workaround.

Thanks, Erik for reviewing and verifying that for me! Also, thanks to Jim and Sascha for your input. I think the workaround should be acceptable.

cindy

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event