Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming JSP file after each change

Highlighted
mohdebas
Super Collector

Renaming JSP file after each change

Hi All,

I have been working on this JSP which is really huge in terms of the formatting and every time I make any changes to the JSP file, I keep on renaming it. Hence the count today has rose somewhere to around 600. I remember I had heard of something in which we need to make some changes / or get some parameter enabled and then just touch the JSP file through cygwin. But I don't recall that now.

Can anyone please help me with it or any other possible convenient solutions?

An immediate response would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards

Debasish

7 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Re: Renaming JSP file after each change

Hi Debasish,

Try the following steps:

1) Open the file web.xml located in <PPM_HOME>\server\<SERVER_NAME>\deploy\jbossweb-tomcat55.sar\conf

2) Search for <param-name>development</param-name>

3) Change the following <param-value> from false to true

4) Restart the PPM Server

Note that there is a slight performance impact with this change.

Let me know if that worked.

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Another way is to go to 

WORK directory, the go the specific JSP location (same as it is in <root>server..../deploy)

Here you can find out the JAVA and .CLASS file specific to you JSP. You can delete these and it will resolve your renaming issue.

But again this is a manual task.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
mohdebas
Super Collector

Hi Etienne,

Before giving it a try, would want to know the possible performance issues you are talking about as people here are a bit impatient with the dashboard loading page and all. Have already faced such issues and took quite some time to clean up the mess. So would like to know any possible issue so that I can be aware of it and mitigate it beforehand.

Thanks!

Regards

Debasish

mohdebas
Super Collector

@Utkarsh,

Thanks for your response. Just was eagerto know that do we have to perform this each and every time i.e. like temp and work folder, does it get created everytime or its a one time process. And the impact after deleting the java and .class file ?

Thanks!

Regards

Debasish

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Hi Debasish,

As I mentioned earlier that this would be a manual task.

So instead of renaming the JSP, just simple go to WORK directoty (to desired path) and then delete the JAVA and .class file (assoicated to the file name).

Doing so won't impact the server performance as you are only deleting the java and .class file of your custom JSP.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Debasish,

I have no idea how much exactly will be the performance impact of turning on JSP development mode. The "only" impact is that every time a user will try to access a JSP, the server will check whether the JSP was modified (just by looking at the file timestamp). This is not a huge performance impact, but this tends to be a very common performance tuning tip provided, so the performance impact might eventually be noticeable.

So you are not advised to enable it on Production environment, but if you are experimenting with JSP, I supposed you did so in a dev or test environment, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks,

Etienne.

Cat_2
Regular Collector

I do not remember seeing your version # but in PPM 8 there is a server parameter called

JSP_RECOMPILE_ENABLED that might help. It's generally not recommended for prod due to potential performance degradation, but works great for a dev env.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event