Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Refresh the dev database with production database.

Highlighted
vamsee_1
Respected Contributor.

Refresh the dev database with production database.

We would want to refresh our development server databae with production database and this could be done by a simple export/import of the database schema.

In one of the request forms we have a URL field which captures the URL for the project plan attached with the request and this plan URL is filled in by triggering a rule when a Project is selected in another field.

Now when we will refresh the dev database with prodcution database these URl links will alo get copied and then they will point to the prodcution server rather than dev application server which is on a different box.

COuld you please suggest a way where in we do this refresh and the data integrity also remain intact wherein the URL also points to the dev server.
3 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Refresh the dev database with production database.

Hi.
You will have to replace the substring of the hostname in the DB using a PL/SQL function or stored procedure. If you copy the whole db schema all ids will stay the same, so this should be enough.
In general, I would recommend to use links with relative URLs though, these will always work even after what you want to do or if you add a front end webserver with a different hostname.
Regards
Sascha
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

You can write a script that updates the places you need after the data is imported into the destination environment. We have one of these for when we do updates. For example, we have notifications in dev and test send to a generic email box so that our users aren't flooded with notifications.

The sequence is:
Export from prod
Import to test
Run post import script to ensure that notifications and various other items are correct in test.
vamsee_1
Respected Contributor.

I agree to what you uys have mentioned. Even I have used relative URL links but the problem is that once it enters the database then when you are perfoming a task like the one that we are doing (refreshing the dev server with prod database) then I guess you will have to update it with a script.

Anyways.Thank You for your help!!!!