The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh Test Applications server instance with Prod Instance.

Highlighted
vamsee_1
Regular Collector

Refresh Test Applications server instance with Prod Instance.

Hi,

We would like to refresh our test application server instance with Prod so that both the servers are in synch. This would involve refreshing of the databases as well.

My question is specific to links/URL which would be pointing to the prodcution server files. Now when i copy the prod data and file system to test how do i change these URLs so that they point to the correct link for test. Please note that test and prod are on different machines.

Also would like to know what other precautions , care should be taken before we do a referesh of instances and get them in synch.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Re: Refresh Test Applications server instance with Prod Instance.

Hi,

You will need to change the following parameters in the server.conf file,

com.kintana.core.server.BASE_PATH
com.kintana.core.server.RMI_URL
com.kintana.core.server.BASE_URL
com.kintana.core.server.SERVER_NAME
com.kintana.core.server.HTTP_PORT
com.kintana.core.server.JDBC_URL
com.kintana.core.server.ORACLE_HOME
com.kintana.core.server.ATTACHMENT_DIRNAME

This will ensure that your now new test instance is pointing to the new production copied test database instance and also the url will be changed for the test instance.

Also, if you have notifications in production then you may want to turn it off by adding this parameter in the server.conf file,

com.kintana.core.server.TURN_ON_NOTIFICATIONS=FALSE

If you use the above notification parameter then you will also need to make sure that you do not turn on the notifications, otherwise PPM will start sending the past notifications also. If you need to turn on notifications for any testing purposes, then you can do this,

1. Purge all the notifications from the notifications table before turning on notifications.

2. Change all the email addresses to your email address (this won't stop the past notifications in the notifications table to send email to you though, this is only for the new notifications that you will create to avoid sending it to the real users).

3. Delete all notifications manually from the request types, workflows, etc. and create new ones that you want to test (least recommended approach though.

If you have the same port nos. for HTTP and RMI in the test application then you won't need to change the port nos.

Let know for any other details on the same if required.
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Also, make sure to run the sh kUpdateHtml.sh after making the changes in the server.conf file and before starting the test instance.
J Bossalini
Super Collector

Also, if you currently use hard coded URLs in your requests/workflows andor notifications, change them to use the server tokens previously mentioned so that they will dynamically pick up the new environment.
vamsee_1
Regular Collector

Thanks for all the information.

Could you also explain how do I make sure that the URL Fields in the Request type which contains links in this field which would be pointing to the Production URL say I attach a Project plan URL link to t request type in production then this URL would be pointing to the Production server. how do i change this data so that it now points to the URl of the test server. We have about 3000 odd requests which have a URL field pointing to the Project plan link in production.

Again thanks in advance.
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

I believe those links would be the dynamic links. If that's the case, then it will automatically now point to the test instance and not production instance. If you have hardcoded any links then you will need to manually change it. As far as you have used dynamic links, or token based links or ootb tool provided links anywhere in the application it will automatically point now to the test instance. So you won't need to do any changes in that. Once you bring up the test instance, check a few such links, and you will know there itself if they are pointing to test or not. If not, then check configurations again and wherever you have prod link, change it to test instance link, so it can get relected globally in the application.
Michal_
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

I have recently refreshed test instance form production without product installation. I am able to access "/" nevertheless once I am trying to open WorkBench I am unable to. Java Console shows following error :

http://157.191.158.138/itg/html/workbench/DownloadComplete.html
nulljava.lang.NullPointerException

All of the variables like servername, baseUrl etc. are changed to IP address mentioned above. I am using different ports for RMI and HTTP.

Thank You for help,
Michal
Mohiuddin Shaik
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Instead of changing all these parameters of server.conf, what I suggest is take the backup of server.conf and licence.conf files of Test application server instance and then copy all the serverlog files of production instance to the test application server instance and then run the kUpdtatHtml.sh, kJSPCompliler.sh commands and restart the server.
After restarting if still workbench or dashboard gives error then check whether the number of users have been exceeded to the number of licence available in the Test application instance compare to production instance if it has exceeded then remove licence for some users and then try to open the workbench or dashboard. Probably this would solve the issue.

Thanks,
Shaik Mohiuddin
Michal_
Acclaimed Contributor

I have tried suggested steps nvertheless I cannot get rid out of Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/kintana/core/server/tools/GenConfFiles

Thank you in advance.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event