Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Questions on Assets

Highlighted
Sandeep K
Trusted Contributor.

Questions on Assets

Hello,

We have enabled "Use Time Management to track Actuals" on the Resources tab. Then we assigned one user on the Assigned To field, but that resource is unable to find the asset when trying to add on the timesheet.
Is there anything else to be done to enable time tracking on an asset ?

Secondly, how can we add multiple resources to an asset so that they can enter timesheet against that asset ?

We are on 7.5 SP 4.

Any inputs will be of great help !

Sandeep.
5 REPLIES
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Re: Questions on Assets

Hi Sandeep,

Some suggestions.

Check the Asset RT for whom have you given access to enter time under Resources Section in workbench.

Also check Time Sheet policy for allowed items especially requests.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P

Sandeep K
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Sangliraja.
This fixed one of my issues. When I selected "All Request Participants" under the resources tab, I was able to enter time for the asset.

But the "Track Resources" checkbox under the Resources tab is not enabled for an Asset Request Type, though I can enable it for other Request Types.
Is it a limitation for an Asset ? I can only select "Use Time Mgmt to track actuals".

If its a limitation, how can I add multiple resources to track time for an Asset ?
The Assigned To field on the Asset Request is a single select and not multiple select field.

The only option I am seeing is either to use the Assigned Group field, where I can assign a Security Group to an Asset or to use the Staffing profile.

Can we not just assign multiple resources to the "Assigned To" field without using the Staffing Profile or the Assigned Group field ?

Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sandeep,

But the "Track Resources" checkbox under the Resources tab is not enabled for an Asset Request Type, though I can enable it for other Request Types.
Is it a limitation for an Asset ? I can only select "Use Time Mgmt to track actuals".
I am not sure of the functionality why it is not enabled for Asset RT. May be it is because of the presence of SP. SP is giving access to required resources.

You cannot assign multiple resource to assigned_to field. So it is better to have it done through Assigned_Group or SP. I hope it is better to have SP.

THanks
Sangiliraja.P

Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Sandeep, you are right, as soon as the PFM-Asset field group is used the request does not allow this. I don't see a real reason for this limitation, but I guess, best practice would probably recommend tracking resources with change requests refering to the asset. But again, I don't see a need for this limitation.
Sandeep K
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you for your inputs so far.
Yes , it seems like a silly limitation for an Asset Request Type.

Well, we simply cannot afford to use Staffing Profiles because of the lengthy process of requesting resources. Moreover, we will run into the issue of extending hundreds of staffing profiles every year for each asset.
And assigning one single group to the Assigned Group will not help either.

One workaround I found was to simply add a custom MultiSelect field which pulls the list of users in the system.
Then assign the token of this field under each workflow step under the Assigned user. Kinda acts like a multiple Assigned To field.
But the caveat is that it will not appear as resource load under Resource Management visuliations.

Any thoughts ?