The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Rules?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Andy McMahon_1
Collector

Question about Rules?

Hey guys. 

I've setup a rule that says based on field value, make this field = "Use" or "Do Not Use".  (That's the simple form) 

Then I setup a workflow step that says, "If said field = "Use" go to step 2.1 if said field = "Do Not Use" go to step 2.2.

I also have a rule in place that changes the field to Visible, and Not editable.  For whatever reason, when I get to to the workflow step that has the "IF" in it, it comes back with the error, "Step Null Result, override with actions below" when the field is not editable.  When the field is editible it works fine.  Is there a way around this?  If you need more details, lemme know, I'll be more than happy to give them out. 

8 REPLIES
erik_c
Regular Collector

Re: Question about Rules?

Andy, when you say "when the field is not editable" do you mean at the time the rule is firing, or at the time it is at the execution step? Have you verified that the rule is populating the form correctly and that a value exists prior to the request hitting the execution step?

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

Hey! Thanks for the reply.   Let me clarify.

The rule makes the field not editable, using java commands, based on a field value.  (It also does it on page load) 

I have checked, and I can see that the field is actually populated, but it's still returning a "Null Value" error when I get to the specific step in the workflow.

If the field is changed to editible, then that workflow step fires off perfectly... The problem is, the business need requires that field to not be editible if another field equals a value, so I can't think of a workaround.  Are there any screenshots that would help you out here?

dirkf
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Andy,

I've found no information on which version you are running but found that there is a defect reported when making otherwise visible and editable fields non-editable via a rule. This defect was reported for 7.57 as well as 8.02 and contains the following information (you might want to look it up in SSO if you think it applies):

QCCR1L41243 - Request Header non-editable fields are not updated correctly when updated by SQL rules.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/FID/DOCUMENTUM_QCCR1L41243

Information:

There are 2 non editable fields in the Request Header Type that are updated by SQL Rules of the Request Type.
The rules update these fields depending on the values of other fields ("Apply on field change").
They are triggered correctly and update the fields accordingly, but after saving the values are reverted to the original ones.

It might be only an assumption, but I guess if the fields are empty before they are edited by the rule, then saving them should revert back to the original value which is empty, thus 'null'.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dirk

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

Awesome. So. FYI I'm on v. 9.1 and we're on a windows machine. 

The fields are blank before applying the rule and then editing them so I guess i need to figure out how to have the rules take effect.  

I tried changing "Apply on pageload" to "apply before transition" and it doesn't seem to be working.  As a matter of fact, now, when I select  a value, and the field changes, when I click save, I come back, and the field is now blank... so I wonder what I can do to fix this. 

dirkf
Honored Contributor

HI Andy,

I'm a bit out of options here.

What I'd do? Check the log for any reference to a stack, collect kSupport, take screenshot of page as well as the rule (might want to also take a snap of the field details), then describe the issue, reference the above QCCR and log a ticket with Support to keep us from being bored ;-)

Good luck and best regards,

Dirk

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

I have one more question. 

If I were to set the field as "Display Only", I could use rules to edit the field. (I Just tested that and it worked.)  

Here's the one catch.  When field A equals a certain value, that field needs to be editable.  SO... Is there a way to make a 'Display ONly" field editible?  

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Andy,

I haven't tried this before, but you might want to try using setFieldEditable(false) for the destination field when the field condition field A has a certain value before you update field A with the new value.

Best regards,

Dirk

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

I submitted a ticket with HP support to see if this is still a known issue, and if they have a patch for it just in case.  

If they don't then I'll have to figure out another solution. but that's ok.  Thanks for all of your help! 

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event