Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Query regarding Budget period change

Highlighted
NGT
Frequent Contributor.

Query regarding Budget period change

Hi Team

I went through the the financial management document for PPM(PPM 7.5, SP7 is the version we are on) and could not find detailed information regarding how the radio buttons(please see attachment) function when we click on Change period of the budget.

Does anyone have pointers on where can I get additional information regarding these radio buttons or explain how these work and what are the implications of selecting one radio button over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Nishant GT

4 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Query regarding Budget period change

HI NGT,

I couldn’t find anything in the guides either.

The information needed is quite straightforward really.

The first (discard-)Button indicates that if you shift periods, any of the old financial period data will be discarded while the other button will shift the information.

Example:

Old start: August 11, old end: Dec ‘12

New start: Dec ’11, new end: Dec ‘13

Use the ‘discard’-button, it will discard any information that is outside the current period selection; means, you lose any info from August, Sept, Oct and Nov ’11 because it is before the new start, thus outside the new period.

Use the ‘shift’-button and the information will be pushed. Means, budget info from August ’11 (old planning) will be forwarded to Dec ’12 (new planning), September ’11 to January ’12 and so on.

I’m not sure what happens if you use the ‘shift-button’, at the same time have budget for all planned months in the current setup and then select start and end periods (new) which is a shorter project duration than before – ideally it SHOULD throw an error but I really haven’t tested it.

Example: Old project duration 12 months, new project duration 11 months, where in the old project duration all months have project data. In the ‘shift’-example, all months would be pushed but due the new shorter project duration, the last month should not be allocated, the data lost (or the projected automatically extended.

Let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Dirk

NGT
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Dirk

Thank you for the response and I agree with what you've stated.

Do you know what all out of the box entities (or fields are calculated) which are impacted with using either discard or shift option. I am trying to get an idea for what all can be impacted and is it impacting our current system by playing with these options.

Once again thank you for your response and I look forward to hear your thoughts on the impacted entities.

Regards

Nishant GT

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Nishant,

I wouldn't recommend playing with live data. I suggest creating a project with a finsum on a test-environment and playing with that. To indicate which data might be affected, I've added the data model guide for PPM 9.12 and you can check the architectural graphs in the first pages plus the affected tables and data in the later section of that guide. That will give you an idea of what goes on in the background. Do yourself the favor and don't bend any data in the backend - I always get a buzz in the back of my neck when someone asks for implications of changing data by 'playing' with options on a live system.

Have a look at page 58 of the attached guide for the financial management diagram and you'll get a first impression what impact a change to the financial summary data will have on other tables and entities.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dirk

- Kudos always welcome -

NGT
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Dirk

First of all thank you so much for the speedy reply and your candid suggestion of not to play with live data.

To set your mind at ease, I have a RnD environment where I am as per your suggestion going to play around with the financial module of PPM and figure out where the affected entities are at.

Once again thank you so much for your help / input. Tis been really helpful.

Regard

Nishant GT