Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Project Search not honoring security

Highlighted
Abdullah Rafiq
Respected Contributor.

Project Search not honoring security

We've noticed that going from Project Management - Search Projects does not honor security checks when displaying results and shows all Projects in the system. Furthermore, the user is able to click on one of the Projects and see the Project Overview page for those Projects. By doing this they are able to see the Budget, workplan, etc. However, they are not able to see the Project Details tab.
Does anyone know if this is a security setting that has been overlooked on our part OR is it known that certain functions in PPMC do not honor security?
4 REPLIES
Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Project Search not honoring security

Hi Abdullah,

There is project security cofiguration which I used my last PPM project. In PPM9.1 click Open>Administration>Project Types&Templates>Manage Project Types. In Project Security tab please configure like enclosed picture.

With this configuration project,
1) Project Summary can visible project participant. PPM automaticly add related resources to project participant list except project manager and stakeholders. This two filed can edit by project manager. We use stakeholders field to add user who want to see project.
2) Only project manager and stakeholder can see financial datas in projects. In this case in addition to above configuration you can give "view/edit financial datas" access grants ONLY to project managers.

Please inform me if it couldn't help you ?

Regards
Celil
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Abdullah Rafiq
Respected Contributor.

Cecil,
Thank you for the quick response. This is similar to how we have it set up too. But if some other user goes to Search Projects from the menu, it does not check that security and the search results shows ALL projects.
Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Abdullah,

Please check these securities;
* Look at the request type User Access tab. Is there any security breach?
* Look at the workflow Security tab. Is there any security breach?
* Look at the security groups and check for "view/edit all projects" Access Grants?

If you can't find anything, could you please send me screenshots/excel export of this list? :
* request type user access tab
* workflow all steps security tabs
* security groups & access grants
* project setting only project security tab
* a sample project's project participant

Celil
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Abdullah Rafiq
Respected Contributor.

Hi Celil,
thank you for offering to help. it seems that it is working ok. this client just has multiple groups using the system with security locked down to each.

apparently the information I was seeing was for requests prior to when they updated the security model.

All is good for now.

Cheers.