Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Project Health criteria

Highlighted
Carolyn Barmeie
Trusted Contributor.

Project Health criteria

I would like to understand Project Health. What triggers it to change to another value if a user does not manually change this? We use more colors/values than this system supports at this time. An option is to created a new drop down with the new values which would be a bit confusing to the users. I tried adding new values to validation PFM-Project Health, but even though I make the field editible the user cannot make the change. I am sure this has to do with the hard coding of Project Health. Any ideas on how to add additional values to show Project Health? Thanks
4 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Project Health criteria

Carolyn,

Project health is calculated automatically at intervals and is a weighted average of the schedule health, cost health, and issue health. The policies are set in the project type.

I think for your case, I would add a new field and have its values based off of your custom criteria.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Carolyn,

It's good to suggest the client not to try do any customization on the project health and any of its related fields.

If you customize any field then it can have a system-wide impact. All the values in these fields have certain significance internally which are used to make various calculations for project health. The same values are used in the out-of-the-box portlets and reports. If these values are modified then some out-of-the-box portlets and reports may also need to be modified, which can turn out to be a huge effort.

Please let know what specific values you are trying to change, which may help a little further in knowing the issue or the impacts of the same.

Thanks,
Darshan
Carolyn Barmeie
Trusted Contributor.

Darshan,

We are not limited to red/yellow/green for our project health, but have other colors as well to indicate where the project is and why. We were hoping to avoid having to create a new field since it would not reflect the overall health colors that are seeded within the system. I do understand what you are saying about how the seeded project health is inherent throughout the system, so I believe we are limited to what we can do.

Thanks, Carolyn
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Carolyn,

That's right. PPM limits on options here. For example if you add blue, purple, etc. colors to the project health, the OOTB portlets reports don't consider them for project health calculations. PPM by default takes into account only the red, yellow and green colors to show the project health within these three colors. You may want to create an enhancement request with HP, may be in future they incorporate dynamic calculation of project health based on user entered/modified color and other criteria changes in the system for the project health.

Thanks,
Darshan