Project Actual Visibility in Analyze Assignment Load Portlet

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

Project Actual Visibility in Analyze Assignment Load Portlet

Hello All -

We are on 7.5 and are trying to view project time sheet actuals in the analyze assignment load portlet, but they don't seem to show up. I have the following settings turned on..
Workload driven by staffing profile
Time tracked at the project level in time sheets
All users can log time against projects

The users are able to log time to the projects in their time sheet and I can see the contributions on the project, but no actuals show up in the analyze assignment load portlet. Are they supposed too?

I tested out entering actuals directly into the staffing profile, and that DID work, but we want to use time mgmt...not the staffing profiles to capture actuals.

The end result I'm looking for is the scheduled effort of a project (staffing profile) against the actual effort of the project (time sheet). Can this happen in the analyze assignment portlet? Am I missing something? Do I need the work items field group on my request? Is there a server.conf parameter I'm missing? I swear I did this in the past, but cant get it to work now.

Thanks in advance!!

BK
10 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: Project Actual Visibility in Analyze Assignment Load Portlet

Hi,

- You have the project settings configured to roll actuals from the work plan & TM into the SP?
- Your Workload Category setting in the portlet matches the category set in the SP?

It seems to be working fine for me, also 7.5
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

Hey Eric -

Just a couple additional questions...

1.What setting is used to rollup time sheets actuals to the SP? I'm assuming its something in the cost and effort policy, but what setting? I may be missing it.
2.Do you have to use the Workload category? right now its blank in both cases. I'll use it if we need too.

3. The person submitting time isnt actually assigned in the staffing profile. For example, we have 3 resources committed in the SP, but ANYONE can submit time. Resource 4 and 5 submitted some actuals. Could that be part of the problem? Does the resource have to be in the SP for actuals to show up?

Thanks for the quick response. This is probably just a setting that I am missing. Hopefully I can get this figured out today.

Thanks -
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

My apologies...I meant Erik not Eric. I spelled your name wrong.
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor
Solution

(1) C&E > 'Use actual information from the work plan and Time Management when viewing actuals in the staffing profile' BUT I think the AAL should pull actuals directly from the workplan so this may not be an issue.

(2) don't think so, just making sure they weren't mismatched

(3) don't know, you might test with one of your SP people. Can you see anything under View Resource > Capacity / Load for your resources?
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

I checked out the project type and things seem to be setup the right way. I even made sure the workload category is aligned.

Is there something on the time sheet side that could be causing an impact. We are tracking time at the project level, but require activities to be entered. Could that cause a problem?

Also, do I need to have the work item type field group in my project request?

Thanks -
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

Hey Erik-

I got it to work, but I have to track time at the task level versus the project level. Do you know if it works if you only track time at the project level?

Also, when tracking time at the project level do you have to have any child tasks for time tracking to actually work?

Thanks for the help! It looks like we might get this figured out.
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Hey Brandon,

I think this works only at Task Level and does not work at Summary Level or Project Level. The reason it won't work at Summary Level and Project Level is either a restriction or a design flaw or the way AAL portlet is designed, that it cannot break-down the data in AAL by resource when tracking time at Summary Level or Project Level. Though I may be wrong as I don't remember it entirely right now, but will update as soon as I can check about it.
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

Darshan,

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. I opened a ticket with HP, we'll see what they say. I'm just glad it's working with the task details.

However, here is another issue I am running into related to this...
Now that we can see the actual vs. scheduled data in the portlet I stared to enter some additional fake data to make the portlet realistic. At first, it was working and all the data was showing up, but once I started to created my time sheets and more actuals existed the portlet stopped displaying data. It's weird. Its like it is timing out and cant pull that much data. It just says "no results found". I was looking at 6 past months and 2 future months against one project..and the data wouldn't come up. The funnies thing is if I reduce the timeframe to 1 previous month and 1 future month and only look at acutals or scheduled it will show up. BUT try to look at more in a larger time frame and it shows no results.

Could this be a max data issue with the portlet? Is there some server.conf parameter I can update? I know the data is there...the portlet just wont display it.

Thanks guys!!
Jamie Becker
Super Collector

Brandon,
Do you have SP3 installed? I read in the release notes that the Analyze Assignment Load portlet now has a threshold. When the threshold is exceeded the portlet does not display. But it should show you a message with the threshold value and current value. It also says that HP does not recommend that you increase the value of the threshold.
You can export the data to Excel.
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

Yes, we are SP3. We actually spoke with HP and they were able to recreate our issues. It seems to be a bug that they are working on.

Thanks -

closed
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event