Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems in attaching Workplan to Project.

Highlighted
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Problems in attaching Workplan to Project.

Hi,
We are having a requirement in which the workplan should be attached as soon as we submit the Project.

It should NOT be shown as a link in Project summary section after the project is submitted.

I know that this can be acheived if we create Project from Proposal, but in our requirement there is no need for Proposal.

I tried it as a workflow step(Snap attached) but it is not working. I am getting Override buttons.
Please advice

Regards,
Mahendran M
16 REPLIES
Erik Cole_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problems in attaching Workplan to Project.

Don't think you can have an execution step as your first step in the workflow. Try adding a dummy decision step that times out quickly before the execution.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I have used 'ksc_store' command workflow step as a first step in the workflow, and it works perfectly fine. so we can keep the execution step as the first step in WF.

I tried keeping the Decision step as the first step, and the minimum possible time out is 1 minute. And this is too long time and also even after 1 minute, It is not working.

Snap shot attached, Please advice, If I am missing anything, Also please advice if there are any workarounds.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Soniya Ahuja
Occasional Contributor

Hi Muthu, are you passing the right parameters to the ksc_create_workplan command? Not very sure on this, but the command says that it takes two parameters - Project Id or Template ID (of workplan).

It creates workplan from existing project or template. If both are specified, template takes higher precedence.

I just asked this because I didn't see any parameters being passed in the screenshot that you have attached. Sorry if I am repeating things that you already know.
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ALL
I try to use ksc_create_workplan command as 1-t step WF(auto), but it not working. If use this command in 2-d WF step all working fine.
Good Luck
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi Semenov,
Can you send snap shot of the Workflow and its properties please. I tried it as second step, But it is not working. I have attached the snap shot of the error.

Hi Soniya,
I have the parameters in the request type itself. If I miss any parameters, It will clearly tell in the log of the workflow step.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

File Attached
Good Lack
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I have a question, What will be the first step? Decision Step? If it is decision step, then We will see template name for Workplan creation in this step. THe timeout is not working. Please see my snap shots previously.

Can we use a Conditional 'OR' Step? Please advice.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Also please send me your Workflow snapshot. I am clear with the commands part.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mahendran
For many reasens I can't send you my WF.
But any descriptions:
1-t step:Decision (Initiatoin:Status - NEW)
2-d step:Execution (Create Work Plan from Template(automaticly))
3-d and more: any
N-1 step: Execution(Change work plan status (complete or canceled))
End step:Closed (Succesfull or Failed)
Good Luck
jyotir_2
Super Collector

Hi,

Its up to requirement,you can select Execution or Decision step your first step there is no as such limitation.

As you said if its possible to dot this when you create Project from Proposal,So i would suggest rather than creating new execution step copy the OOTB and do the modification as requirement.

It should work fine.

Regards,
Jyotir
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Is there is any OOTB WF which tells how to create Workplan in the first step or in other step?
Please advice.

Regards,
Mahendran M
jyotir_2
Super Collector

Hi,

There is one Execution Step "PM - Create Project" in PFM-Proposal workflow.You can use this step for you ussage.

In this step you have to do the modification as per the requirement.
You have to set particular Project Type so that you can inherit the Workplan Template attached to that type.

Other wise you can also do this by Using PPM webservices.

I hope it would be help full.

Regards,
Jyotir
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Those things I already tried, but no use. Please see my previous snaps.

Regards,
Mahendran M
jyotir_2
Super Collector

Hi,

I just had a look in error snapshot,its Null Pointer Exception.So it may be the reason that in the Project Setting there is no default workplan template attached for your project and you are trying to creat workplan.

-Jyotir

Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi,
In PPM 7.1 SP 5, This condition cannot be acheived, If I keep the ksc_create_workplan execution step as the first step it does not work, It needs a Decision step or a 'Manual'dummy Execution step as the previous step before the ksc_create_workplan execution step.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Thread closed

Regards,
Mahendran M
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event