The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem sending work plan to PPM

Highlighted
Gerardo Gamez
Super Collector

Problem sending work plan to PPM

Hi,

I'm trying to send a work plan from Microsoft Project to PPM but I'm having problems to do it, I don't receive any error message, sometimes a timeout error is displayed but I remove the timeout parameter in the server.conf file and no other error is displayed, only the load of the plan stays freezed a lot of hours until is cancelled by me, I reviewed the project parameters and are OK, the default parameters for Microsoft Storage Location for PPM System Information have been changed but also the parameters in work plan too, I don't know what else should I check to make this plan can be sent to PPM, can anyone tell me what should I do?

I'm attaching the work plan, I'm using PPM 7.5 SP4

Thanks and Regards.

7 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Re: Problem sending work plan to PPM

Hi,

- What is the MS Project version you are using? 2003 or 2007?

- In the PPM project to which you want to send the workplan, what are the settings for fields IDs in the "Microsoft Storage Location for PPM System Information" (In Project Settings / "Microsoft Project Integration" tab). The default value for storing the PPM ID is Number20, but you already have some values in this field (all of them negative) as you are using this field for "SLA Ruta Critica". Please make sure than none of the fields required by PPM listed in the project settings are already used in your MS Project workplan.

- More than 3000 tasks is very large for a work plan. However, this should work (but be very long), even with PPM 7.5. Can you try to send the work plan to another new test project, after cutting the work plan size in half?

- When I open the MPP file in MS Project 2007, some warning message is displayed about some invalid notes fields (multi-line notes). Can you try to remove the notes from the MPP work plan and try again?

Last but not least, if you enable the logs in the MS Project plugin, is there any interesting information in the log files generated by the plugin?

Thanks,

Etienne.

Gerardo Gamez
Super Collector

Hi Etienne,

Answering your questions:

- I'm using MS Project 2007 and 2010

- The fields in Microsoft Storage Location for PPM System Information are changed according to the empty values in the plan, the default Number20 is already used in the plan but it was changed in the project.

- I tried to cut another plans to half and worked fine, I also uploaded a plan with more than 4000 tasks, it delays a very long time but it works finally but this particular plan I don't know why I having problem with it, I left it about a complete weekend starting on friday to monday and still freezed without any result in logs or anything that can be useful.

- I opened the plan as you said and no warning messaged appeared, what kind of notes did you referred?

Thanks for your support.

Gerardo.

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Gerardo,

- We do not support MS Project 2010 with PPM 7.5. The PPM plugin menu might appear in MS Project 2010 if you first installed the plugin in MS Project 2007 and then installed MS Project 2010 on your workstation, but it doesn't mean that it is officially supported. Please use only MS Project 2007 when synchronizing projects with HP PPM Center.

- Did you tried to remove all the notes from the workplan and synchronize the project again?

- Did you tried to check the contents of the logs generated by the plugin when synchronization fails?

You said that synchronization worked fine when you cut the workplan in half ; my guess would be that if there was a problem, it was in the half of the work plan that you deleted.

Try again to synchronize the work plan with PPM after removing the other half (the one that worked). If synchronization fails then, it means that the culprit task(s) is(are) in this half of the workplan. Continue again by cutting this non-working workplan in half and try synchronizing your workplan with PPM ; repeat the "cut in half and try" operations unless you can pinpoint one or more guilty tasks that, when synchronized alone, will cause the synch to fail. It may seem like a long procedure, but it shouldn't take you more than 10 "cut & try" operations to isolate the bad apple.

Once you pinpoint one precise task causing synch to fail, try to modify the different fields until the synchronization succeeds.

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

yeimylorena
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to send a work plan from Microsoft Project to PPM but I'm having problems to do it, I enable the logs in the MS Project plug in and the log files generated by the plug in show below message.

[Header]2011-10-31 09:29:15,880 [VSTA_Main] DEBUG Project in PPM Controlled mode or not a PPM Project, mapping & sending workplan to PPM Project without a workplan
2011-10-31 09:29:21,524 [VSTA_Main] DEBUG Operation Successful
2011-10-31 09:29:29,943 [VSTA_Main] DEBUG XML of all the resources to be sent to PPM:
2011-10-31 09:29:29,943 [VSTA_Main] DEBUG <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Resources><Resource><Name>Claudia Milena Diaz Ortegon</Name><UID>5548</UID></Resource><Resource><Name>Dora Del carmen Berrocal Castilla</Name><UID>5606</UID></Resource><Resource><Name>Gina Constanza Parales Escalante</Name><UID>5713</UID></Resource><Resource><Name></Name><UID>6072</UID></Resource><Resource><Name></Name><UID>6126</UID></Resource><Resource><Name>Silvia Jimena Borja Huarcaya</Name><UID>6237</UID></Resource><Resource><Name>Yasmin Gonzalez Susatama</Name><UID>7075</UID></Resource><Resource><Name>LTP Panama BPA Security and Controls</Name><UID>7096</UID></Resource></Resources>
2011-10-31 09:29:31,878 [VSTA_Main] DEBUG XML Returned by PPM for mapping:
2011-10-31 09:29:31,878 [VSTA_Main] DEBUG <ResourcesResponse><Message><Severity>Error</Severity><Context>Server</Context><Summary>Exception thrown by server</Summary><MessageKey>Exception thrown by server</MessageKey><Description>java.lang.NullPointerException
                at com.mercury.itg.util.MSPResources.mapResources(MSPResources.java:365)
                at com.mercury.itg.pm.workplan.web.ExportMicrosoftProjectResourcesAction.doExecute(ExportMicrosoftProjectResourcesAction.java:59)
                at com.mercury.itg.common.web.BaseAction.execute(BaseAction.java:168)
                at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:4...
</Description></Message></ResourcesResponse>
2011-10-31 09:29:31,890 [VSTA_Main] ERROR Couldn't retrieve the Resources node from PPM Resources Mapping response
2011-10-31 09:29:31,890 [VSTA_Main] ERROR Exception caught in exportButton_Click:
System.Exception: Couldn't retrieve 'resources' node from the PPM Mapping XmlDocument
   en com.hp.ppm.msp.mspdoc.ResourcesMapper.getResourcesHashFromXmlMapping(XmlDocument mappingDoc, List`1 validLocalResources, List`1 validEnterpriseResources, Project proj) en n:\Kintana\910_patches\SourceCode\mspIntegration\MSPdotNet\PPM_MSP_Plugin_Common\mspdoc\ResourcesMapper.cs:línea 276
   en com.hp.ppm.msp.mspdoc.ResourcesMapper.mapResources(String projectId, Project proj, Boolean forceShowMappingResult, Boolean ignoreForceShowIfNoResource) en n:\Kintana\910_patches\SourceCode\mspIntegration\MSPdotNet\PPM_MSP_Plugin_Common\mspdoc\ResourcesMapper.cs:línea 102
   en com.hp.ppm.msp.mspdoc.Export.export(Project proj) en n:\Kintana\910_patches\SourceCode\mspIntegration\MSPdotNet\PPM_MSP_Plugin_Common\mspdoc\Export.cs:línea 92
   en com.hp.ppm.msp.ui.menu.MSPMenuCustomizer.exportButton_Click(CommandBarButton Ctrl, Boolean& CancelDefault) en n:\Kintana\910_patches\SourceCode\mspIntegration\MSPdotNet\PPM_MSP_Plugin_Common\ui\MSPMenuCustomizer.cs:línea 663

- I'm using  MS Project 2003 and 2007

- I check the PPM project Settings and The default value for storing the PPM ID is Number20

- I'm using PPM 9.1.

- The Ms Project has 2600 task

Could you help me?

Thanks and Regards.

Yeimy Lorena Escobar Rivera

Yeimy L. Escobar
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Yeimy Lorena,

This should have been put in a new Thread as this is a new issue.

There is an error on PPM Server side when you try to export the list of resource to map to PPM resrouces (null pointer exception).

If you look at the XML sent to PPM shown in the logs, you can see that there are 2 resources without a name that are sent to PPM:

<Resource><Name></Name><UID>6072</UID></Resource>
<Resource><Name></Name><UID>6126</UID></Resource>

I suspect these might be the source of the problem.

Please try the following steps:

1) In MSP, switch to resources sheet view

2) Right-click on the column headers, choose "Insert Column" and add the column "Unique ID".

3) For the resources with Unique ID values "6072" and "6126", delete them if they are not used in the work plan, or give them a name (whatever non-used name should fit) if they are used in the work plan and that you want to keep them.

4) Try again to send the work plan to PPM.

Let me know it that solved your problem.

That being said, I couldn't find any version of the 9.1 PPM Code where MSPResources.java has some meaningful code at line 365 that could result in a null Pointer Exception. Are you using any one-off related to MSP Resource mapping?

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

yeimylorena
Occasional Contributor

Hi Etienne

You are great!, thank you very much I resolve the problem with the work plan, in fact I have  two resource empty with 0% of effort.

Best Regards,

Yeimy Lorena E.

Yeimy L. Escobar
edgarguti40
Acclaimed Contributor

Team

I have problem when i try to compare work plan uploaded with what is actually on my Work Plan, is there a way i can avoid those differences?.

Example. What appears in the comparison is this:

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event