Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem installing PPM Center Plugin w/MS Virtualization Client

Highlighted
dforester
Acclaimed Contributor

Problem installing PPM Center Plugin w/MS Virtualization Client

Hi -

We use the Microsoft Application Virtualization Client to run many apps, MS Project included.

When I try to install the HP PPM Center Plugin for MS Project, it fails, citing that MS Project 2003/2007/2010 needs to be installed first.

My theory is that it is looking for a registry entry for MS Project that it is not finding - I'm wondering if I can manually create the entry, if that will help it get past the install?  Or has anyone else successfully used the MS Application Virtualization-deployed MS Proj with PPM Center?

Any advice is appreciated.

6 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Re: Problem installing PPM Center Plugin w/MS Virtualization Client

Hi,

Which version of PPM are you using? If 9.12 or earlier, there is a known problem in detecting some versions of MSP 2010 in 64bits windows 7 (virtualized or not).

This is fixed in PPM 9.13, and there is a hotfix available from support for earlier versions of PPM 9.1+, that does indeed check for additional registry keys in order to find out about MSP version installed.

dforester
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Etienne - We are on v8 still.

Is it possible to get a list of what registry keys are checked-for?  My concern is that with the Virtualization client - it will still not find any MS Project-related keys, and fail (e.g. there will only be Virtualization client keys).  My thinking is if I can manually create the keys to get past the install - "maybe that'll get me there".  ;-)

dforester
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi - just bumping this?  If I could see/find which registry keys are being checked for - I think this might help.  Thanks!

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Here are the registry checks done by the PPM 8.04 plugin to find the version of MSP installed:

In HKLM:

SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Office\\11.0\\MS Project  (MSP 2003)

SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Office\\12.0\\MS Project  (MSP 2007)

SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Office\\14.0\\MS Project  (MSP 2010)

In HKCR:

MSProject.Application.11 (MSP 2003)

MSProject.Application.12 (MSP 2007)

MSProject.Application.14 (MSP 2010)

An additional check has been added in PPM 9.13 (or 9.14, I forgot the exact version):

check value of HKCR\\MSProject.Application\\CurVer (if existing):

MSProject.Application.11 (MSP 2003)

MSProject.Application.12 (MSP 2007)

MSProject.Application.14 (MSP 2010)

A hotfix that contains that extra check in case MSP version is not correctly detected is available for PPM 9.10, 9.11, 9.12.

For your case, if you simply want to create a key that will force detection of the plugin (without installing the hotfix), then creating a key HKCR\\MSProject.Application.14 seems like the easiest option.

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

dforester
Acclaimed Contributor

Great - Thanks, much, Etienne; I'll give these a try & report back!

KBelman
Acclaimed Contributor

How can I tell if a user has Windows 7 64 Bit along with MS Project 64 Bit?   And where would I add this Key on their computer once I find out which one they have? "HKCR\\MSProject.Application.14"

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event