Preventing resource over-allocations

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Igorek-KZ
Occasional Contributor

Preventing resource over-allocations

Good day! I have 2 problems with resource scheduling:

1. HP PPM lets me assign resource from staffing profile request, even this resource is over-allocated! In other words, if resource has capacity in resource pool, for example, 100%, HP PPM gives an opportunity to exceed this capacity. Is it normal or not? I want HP PPM to disallow managers over-allocating their resources. How can I do that? (Screenshot: ppm1.jpg)

2. This problem is “linked” with the first one. After accepting resource allocation from staffing profile, manager can assign tasks to this resource. But, system doesn’t check, what quantity of FTE  or in which time period resource was assigned. Example: resource was assigned  in quantity of 1 FTE in this time period: February, June, July, August, September 2012. This means, I think, that project manager can’t assign tasks, which were scheduled in other time periods, to this resource, but he can! (Screenshot: ppm2.jpg, ppm3.jpg)

ppm4.jpg - current project manager security rights

Best Regards,

Igor

Best Regards,
Igor
2 REPLIES
Igorek-KZ
Occasional Contributor

Re: Preventing resource over-allocations

In other words, what's the role of resource pool capacity? For which purposes is it used? Only to warn user that resource is over-allocated by coloring FTE in red? Or disallow user to assign resource? Please, answer, it's very important moment in PPM maintenance.

Best Regards,
Igor
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Preventing resource over-allocations

Hi,

The role of the resource pool capacity is to define your current and future resource capacity. In theory and real life, over-allocation cannot be prevented, therefore PPM does not have such a feature.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event