Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent users from filling time against closed projects

Highlighted
Govardhan07
Regular Collector

Prevent users from filling time against closed projects

How to prevent users from applying time against a closed project.  I know that we cannot add a closed project to your time sheet if it is closed, but if the project is already in our time sheet we can continue adding time. This would also apply to tasks that have been completed or Misc items that have been disabled.

I am using HP PPM 7.5

15 REPLIES
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Re: Prevent users from filling time against closed projects

Hi,

in the Project (or Project Type) Settings -> Cost and Effort, you have a policy which describes if time may be submitted after the project is closed ("After a task is complete, allow time to be logged") - you can set it to "Do not allow. Resources cannot add tasks that are complete to their timesheets".

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Govardhan07
Regular Collector

Thank you Alex I am very happy with this solution, I will let you know if I have any further queries.

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

whenever somebody gives you a solution, you should provide the appropriate kudo in order to keep this community alive.

cheers

alex

Govardhan07
Regular Collector

I have tried to change the project settings for the closed projects but we cant modify the settings when it was completed. Is there any way to make the changes?

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you cannot do this for projects which are already closed.

Check the solution for the following post http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Project-and-Portfolio-Management/How-do-we-cancel-the-workplan-of-cancelled-projects/m-p/5225104/highlight/true#M12205 to see how to reopen projects.

cheers

alex

Govardhan07
Regular Collector

We need to make this changes in many projects so it will very tough to do so.

Is there any possibilities for flagging a closed project/activity in a time sheet to prevent users from applying time against a closed project.  I know that you cannot add a closed project to your time sheet if it is closed, but if the project is already in  your time sheet you can continue adding time.  This would also apply to tasks that have been completed or Misc items that have been disabled.

Please help me regarding this.

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

in this case, your should raise a case to HP Support.

cheers

alex

PPMRam
Collector

Hi,

We can change the setting through backend by updating. Below is the update statement to update the setting.

update itg_settings_attributes
set value='never'
where settings_attribute_id =(SELECT isa.settings_attribute_id
                              FROM kcrt_fg_pfm_project fg
                                   , pm_project_types pt
                                   , itg_settings_attributes isa
                                   , itg_settings_cont_attrs isca
                                   , kcrt_requests kr,kcrt_statuses ks
                              WHERE fg.prj_project_id = pt.project_id
                              AND isca.settings_container_id = pt.pt_settings_key
                              AND isa.settings_attribute_id = isca.settings_attribute_id
                              AND fg.request_id=kr.request_id
                              AND kr.status_id=ks.status_id
                              AND kr.status_code in ('CANCELLED','CLOSED_SUCCESS','CLOSED_FAILURE')
                              AND upper(isca.attr_map_key) like upper('CE.timeAfterTaskClosure')
                              and kr.request_id=119313
                            )

Here below are list of settings values related to "After a task is complete, allow time to be logged:"

Day(s) more  -- days
Time period(s) more (for time period in which the task is complete, enter 0) -- timePeriods
Any time   -- always
Do not allow. Resources cannot add tasks that are complete to their timesheets -- never

Regards,

Nagesh Shenishetty

Govardhan07
Regular Collector

I am hoping for based on a closed project, task, or misc. item, that a flag should appear in the time sheet to notify user that time could not be logged against the line item. Is it possible to do so.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Alternate for this would be to show Error message when user Submit the timesheet, so that they correct the same. It can done by creating time sheet rule, but these rules will be evaluated once the user submits the Timehseet.

More details can be found in timesheet configuration guide.

If you want that these rules be evaluated on SAVE timesheet, then in PPM version 9.14 a new enhancement is done. In this these timesheet rules will be evalutate once the user SAVE the time sheet.

More details can be found in Rlease notes of 9.14.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
PPMRam
Collector

By using above update we can prevent users to submit time sheet for closed projects.

Govardhan07
Regular Collector

we need to make changes in many number of projects and it will include lots of efforts.

Is this udate statement prevents users from filling time against closed tasks, requests, miscellaneous items also.

SantoshkumarMot
Occasional Contributor

Yes we can prevents users from filling time against closed tasks and closed projects.

PPMRam
Collector

Yes we can prevents users from filling time against closed tasks and closed projects.

kev marks
Regular Collector

You can write a script that will change it from the backend.

We have done this multiple times and ran into no issues, this will save the manual work of opening up all active projects and re-opening closed ones.

You should make sure you update the Project settings template so projects created in the future already have it set properly.

Good Luck

Kevin

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event