Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Portlet Dates

Highlighted
Tim Brandish
Honored Contributor.

Portlet Dates

Does anyone know how to define a column in a datasource as a date and get it to display in any format besides mm/dd/yy when it shows up in the portlet? If I convert it to a string, I'll lose the ability to sort by date.
12 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Portlet Dates

Tim - Have you tried using the 'Date' validation? Not sure if it will work the way you want it to display.. but I believe there are two validations for this,

Date
Date (Short Format)

Other one is for choosing the date format,

Date Format
Scott Hawley
Regular Contributor.

If you can't get it into the date format, just use the Oracle string functions to get it into 'YYYYMMDD' (adding HHMMSS if you want). It is a string but the alphabetical sorting is also chronological.
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

We are in a fix too, can you help us sort this out.I have tried all possible combinations that I could think off, but no luck.

The Filter is written as -
and to_date(a.visible_parameter5,'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss') = to_date('2008-04-17 00:00:00','yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss') where the value '2008-04-17 00:00:00' is the calander date picked up by the user( filter field), with the validation as Date.

Thanks for your help.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Lizabeth,

Try using the trunc function with the to_date. Something similar to,

trunc(to_date(a.visible_parameter5,'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss'))

or

trunc(to_date(a.visible_parameter5,'yyyy/mm/dd')) in case hh24:mi:ss are optional in your scenerio.

You may have to trick around a little bit with this or try using the to_char if you can for this also.
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Thanks Darshan,

I have infact used this

and trunc(to_date(to_char(to_date(a.visible_parameter5,'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss'),'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss'),'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss')) = trunc(to_date(to_char(to_date('[VP.USG_OFF_DATE]','yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss'),'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss'),'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss'))

But still no luck.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Lizabeth,

Have you tried using Date (short format) for your filter field validation?
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Yes I have,

But strangely even though individually both Left and right hand sides do have the same results. I always have the oracle error 'ORA-01841: (full) year must be between -4713 and +9999, and not be 0
'.

Thanks
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Lizabeth,

You usually get this error because your a.visible_parameter5 column can contain things other than dates (nulls, text) depending on the request type that applies to any given row. When Oracle tries to apply your to_date() to filter out one of these non-date rows, it throws the error.

A couple of things you can try:

1- Try including something in the "where" clause (usually request type will do) that limits the query to only return rows where visible_parameter5 is a date. You might have already done this, but also this may or may not work depending on how Oracle rewrites the query (the order it applies your predicates) at run time.

2- If Oracle still chokes, write a static or an inline view that accomplishes #1 above and then query that view with your portlet/filter.

3- Compare strings instead of dates:

and to_char(VISIBLE_PARAMETER5) = '2007-05-11 00:00:00'

I would probably do #2.
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Thanks Eric for all your suggestions.

Attached herewith is the Query that I am using after the modifications that were suggested, Although I do not get the error as before, but for any value for the Date that I choose in the filter criteria, the query returns no results.

What Am I still missing.

Thanks again.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Looks like you still have:

to_date(a.visible_parameter5,'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss') OFF_RELEASE_DATE

in your inline view. Just put:

a.visible_parameter5 OFF_RELEASE_DATE

in there, and change the temp.OFF_RELEASE_DATE to:

to_date(temp.OFF_RELEASE_DATE,'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss') OFF_RELEASE_DATE

That way you should only be "to_date()-ing" your inline view's results column which is text, but contains only dates and won't error out the filter.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Actually, don't do

to_date(temp.OFF_RELEASE_DATE,'yyyy/mm/dd hh24:mi:ss')

because your filter is doing it and you want that column to be text for the portlet anyway.
Lizabeth
Super Contributor.

Thanks a ton for your help Eric, that finally worked. I had to change it to a view and remove all to_date functions from the select statements.

Thanks again.