cancel

Populating field based on other field

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Derek Giedd
Honored Contributor.

Populating field based on other field

I have two fields on my request that are related. The first is an org unit and the second is the manager's name. I want to set up the request so when an org unit is selected, the managers name is automatically completed. I am running PPM 7.5 SP3. I have tried a couple of approaches.

Since the full name and manager_id are in 2 different tables, I cannot see a way in a single rule to link these.

I tried creating an intermediate field for the manager_id and using 2 rules: one to complete the manager_id and the other to complete the manager name. The first part worked (the manager_id was completed), but the second rule never seemed to fire. I am guessing that field change only works if you manually change a field and not if another rule changed the field.

The other way that works is to hard code the org units and managers names in the rule. But, I do not want to hard code anything that can change.

Is what I am trying to do possible and if so, how do I set this up?
-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
2 REPLIES
Erik Cole_1
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Re: Populating field based on other field

Hi Derek...try this...

Single rule, using SQL against KRSC_ORG_UNITS_V:

select MANAGER_ID,MANAGER_FULL_NAME
from KRSC_ORG_UNITS_V
where ORG_UNIT_ID = [REQD.P.SELECTED_ORG_UNIT]

BTW, rules are not cascading - ie. a field change resulting from a rule does not trigger another rule.
Derek Giedd
Honored Contributor.

Re: Populating field based on other field

Erik, That worked great. Thanks
-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)