Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Performance issue on PPM with Oracle 11g database

Highlighted
Abhi_Agrawal
Respected Contributor.

Performance issue on PPM with Oracle 11g database

Hi,

We are on PPM v7.5 SP7 (Sun Solaris). We had some performance issue on Production environment so HP had suggested us to upgrade database version from Oracle 9i to 11g. We have setup new hardware with better resources and upgraded database to Oracle 11g. To our surprise, performance of PPM functionality is hampered significantly after this changes. E.g.. Resource Pool (View Resource Load, Capacity), Analyze Assignment Load portlet, Time Management reports, Dashboards etc. are all performing very badly as compared to Oracle 9i database.

We have involved our DBA to look into this issue. They increased database memory to 7GB (more than 9i database) and optimized some queries for Oracle 11g, but still system performance is very slow as compare to the system on Oracle 9i.

Let us know if anyone had faced the same issue and resolution for this?

Regards,

Abhi

9 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Performance issue on PPM with Oracle 11g database

Can't really speak to the database, but I had a major performance increase in 7.5 when we moved from Solaris to a Linux box with similar ram/cpu etc.

Abhi_Agrawal
Respected Contributor.

Our DBA said that Oracle 11g database treats request difference than 9i, so if a SQL query is working fine in 9i then it may perform differently in 11g db irrespective of better resources (H/W size, memory etc.).

We are wondering that now a days most of the PPM customers are using 11g then why only we are facing performance issue and can somebody suggest us any solution.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

I should have said that we didn't change our db box, it was the app server that we changed.

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Have you DBA run the AWR and ADDM reports to get an analysis of database performance. They may give you recommendations on changes you can make to improve performance. The recommendation that helped us was to increase sga_target in the database configuration.

Abhi_Agrawal
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Jim! They run the AWR report and took action based on that report, but that didn't help either.
I will ask them to increase sga_target and let you know if this fix the issue.
Kerim KILIC
Honored Contributor.

version is 11.2.0.1? i faced performance issue on dashboards, search requests etc, and hp supplied fix for it; changing the hint in sql queries. May be you can request same kind of fix also, if it is 11.2.0.2 there are some oracle parameters rather than sga_target mentioned admin guides, your dba can apply those settings

Abhi_Agrawal
Respected Contributor.

No, we are not on 11.2.0.1. We are facing performance issues on Oracle 11.1.0.7
hyllplan
Honored Contributor.

Check all recommended DB parameter settings according to the manual. Solaris - you are not using the Niagara 2 CPU are you? PPM does not like that CPU at all. We had to apply that hotfix as well (were running 11.2.0.1 though)
Abhi_Agrawal
Respected Contributor.

No, wee are not using Niagara 2 CPU.