The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 10:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 10:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Issues with PPM Center 7.1

Highlighted
Hue Huynh
Occasional Advisor

Performance Issues with PPM Center 7.1

Has anyone experienced performance issues since upgrading from 6.0 to 7.1? We've had complaints about pages loading slower than usual. Am wondering if anyone experienced similiar issues. If so, please share and offer any suggestions if possible.
15 REPLIES
Bryan Parrott
Occasional Advisor

Re: Performance Issues with PPM Center 7.1

This is an issue we've run into on each of our upgrades (5.5 to 6.0, 6.0 to 7.1). Each time we would restart the database and this would resolve the load time issues.
Jussi-Kristian
Super Collector

Hi, if the slowness occures everywhere then I would guess also that the problem is either on database (have you re-build indexes for example) or then something has changed in your application server configuration. We noticed that e.g. SP5 re-wrote the start scripts for the instances and someof our customized settings were lost. Also, have you tried dynamic compression on? I think HP has a white paper about that somewhere.
Torsten Neumann
Super Collector

Hi,

PPM 7.1 requires more resources than 6.0. We also experienced a huge performance decrease and followed the recommendations in the SysAdmin Guide for performance improvement.

One huge gain was the implementation of clustered server processes - especially the isolation of background services to a separate cluster process that does not handle end-user requests.

It all depends on your site though (no. of users, hardware setup, usage profiles, ...).

We have around 1500 users with approx. 200 concurrently logged in and run 3 cluster processes (2 for end users and 1 for background services).

If you are interested in more, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Torsten Neumann
Kintana strikes back... ;-)
Hue Huynh
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for the feedback. Jussi-Kristian Puustinen, can you please tell me a little bit more about dynamic compression? Is it a parameter or setting that you can enable within the applicatioin? I can't seem to find the white paper you are referring to.
Jussi-Kristian
Super Collector

Here you go. Remember to test your installation. We tried this with version 6 last year, didnt work. Might be that the problem was not in the application, with 7.1 it seems ok.

Torsten, it would be great if we could talk more about your setup. We currently have 1300 users, for 2009 it might grow to 2000+.

We do not have big performance problems, few open SR's being solved by HP. But if we can get it a bit faster, it probably wont do any harm.

I dont know how to send a private message via this forum.
Jussi-Kristian
Super Collector

Here you go. Remember to test your installation. We tried this with version 6 last year, didnt work. Might be that the problem was not in the application, with 7.1 it seems ok.

Torsten, it would be great if we could talk more about your setup. We currently have 1300 users, for 2009 it might grow to 2000+.

We do not have big performance problems, few open SR's being solved by HP. But if we can get it a bit faster, it probably wont do any harm.

I dont know how to send a private message via this forum.
Torsten Neumann
Super Collector

Hi guys,

I just copy the extract from our server.conf file where we specify the server processes:

---cut---
#
# 1st Cluster Node: Base 8100
# Purpose: Background services only
#
com.kintana.core.server.KINTANA_SERVER_NAME=Test_svc
com.kintana.core.server.SERVER_NAME=server01.ourdomain.com
com.kintana.core.server.BASE_URL=https://front-end-apache.ourdomain.com/itg
com.kintana.core.server.HTTP_PORT=8100
com.kintana.core.server.EXTERNAL_WEB_PORT=8103
com.kintana.core.server.RMI_URL=rmi://server01.ourdomain.com:8102/Kintana
Server

#
# 2nd Cluster Node: Base 8090
# Purpose: End-Users only
#
@node
com.kintana.core.server.KINTANA_SERVER_NAME=Test1
com.kintana.core.server.HTTP_PORT=8090
com.kintana.core.server.EXTERNAL_WEB_PORT=8093
com.kintana.core.server.RMI_URL=rmi://server01.ourdomain.com:8092/Kintana
Server
com.kintana.core.server.SERVICES_ENABLED=FALSE

#
# 3rd Cluster Node: Base 8080
# Purpose: End-Users only
#
@node
com.kintana.core.server.KINTANA_SERVER_NAME=Test
com.kintana.core.server.HTTP_PORT=8080
com.kintana.core.server.EXTERNAL_WEB_PORT=8083
com.kintana.core.server.RMI_URL=rmi://server01.ourdomain.com:8082/Kintana
Server
com.kintana.core.server.SERVICES_ENABLED=FALSE
---cut---

The "trick" is the SERVICES_ENABLED parameter which was introduced with 7.1 SP5. For performance I would recommend to run at least SP5; this was the first SP that made our system stable. Today we had to restart one of our services for the first time after one month uptime. With SP2, we restarted every day...

For the cluster setup, follow the guidelines in the SysAdmin Guide.

The process running the background services (in our example "Test_svc") should not be configured in your worker.properties file - this way you never have end users on your background services engine.

If you need more (specific) info, please write an email to ppmforum(at)tn-consulting.com.

Cheers,
Torsten
Torsten Neumann
Super Collector

Sorry, one addition.

As a rule of thumb, calculate 1 server process for 30-40 active users (not concurrently logged in, but really active). This seems to be a magic number with an application server architecture.

It does not mean you need more machines - our 3 cluster processes run on one Linux machine with 4 CPUs.

Cheers,
Torsten
Torsten Neumann
Super Collector

One more word on compression: This was a standard internal feature with 6.0. In 7.1, you have to do compression on your external web server. It really is quite an important setting - especially if you use PPM over WAN connections.

We use mod_deflate with Apache 2.0.x with good results (dashboard pages compress down to 10%).

Torsten
Hue Huynh
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. We only run PPM internally on the LAN so do you think the dynamic compression is still necessary? Also, there are no more than 200 people concurrently in the application in a given day. We have a clustered application and web server on two separate servers so the load is distributed evenly between the two nodes. I am considering scheduling a maintenance window once a month just to bounce the application and database. For our volume of users, this may suffice.
Jussi-Kristian
Super Collector

Hi, I guess the benefits from compression will be bigger over WAN.
Kari Lehto
Occasional Contributor

For performance related issues, yo should also check that the cache is working for you. We had some problems with it some time ago. It is very important for a good performance.

Thorsten, have you experienced better performance with the implementation of background services or was the clustering key for you? This really could be something we should look at in our implementation.
Torsten Neumann
Super Collector

Hi Karu,

separating the background services brought a more stable performance for the end users. We closely watch Java Memory consumption for all cluster processes. We derived from that info, that the process with the background services showed heavy usage (with peaks and garbage collection) while the end-user processes were running calmly.

For us, separating the background processes was key to provide end-users with a steady good performance (I don't just say it - we continuously measure key use cases with Silkvision over a few months now).

Torsten
Kari Lehto
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info. We've been measuring our environment for quite some time now and everything is working ok now but the environment is different from yours. I'm sure we'll try this out measure the effects on current overall performance and also how it affects our loadtest results also. The peaks and garbage collection on the background services make sense since they propably have the heaviest calculations etc. going there.
Kari Lehto
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info. We've been measuring our environment for quite some time now and everything is working ok now but the environment is different from yours. I'm sure we'll try this out and measure the effects on current overall performance and also how it affects our loadtest results also. The peaks and garbage collection on the background services make sense since they propably have the heaviest calculations etc. going there.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event