Did you mean: 

PROD Clone stops the PROD services

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Arjun_K

PROD Clone stops the PROD services

Hello,

We are planning to create a clone of PROD instance. Both the PROD and Clone are on Linux machines.

We copied Home directory from PROD using single rsync TO PPM SBX. (Note - we did not stop PROD when doing this)

While everything is copied perfect on PPMSBX, the services on PPMSBX are running and pointing the rmis to the PROD URL instead of PPMSBX! (I used to kStatus.sh to check this)

Since we have two nodes on each server, when I stop a service node and then the user node on PPMSBX, the services on PROD instances are stopping too!

Did I miss anything? Any ideas on this would be of great help.

Warm Regards,
Mallikarjun.S
5 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: PROD Clone stops the PROD services

It sounds like you didn't update the server.conf to update the URLs for your sandbox instance.  Since the kStop script read the server.conf file to find the URL it needs to send the shutdown command to, you need to make sure that the server.conf file has the correct URL.  If server.conf file for both the Prod and Sandbox instances are using the same URL, it's behaving exactly as it should.

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

You also need to change all of the multicast ports used by the clone instance so it does not communicate with the primary instance. And you need to run kUpdateHtml.sh after making any changes to server.conf.

Arjun_K

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the reply.

I did changed the server.conf parameters. But as we know we need to stop the server and run kUpdateHtml.sh before the parameters take effect. This is when I am facing the issue.

Soon after the clone the services are still running and I'm unable to stop the server in-order to run kUpdateHtml.sh

This is kind of deadlock now.What's more weird? I found the service ID and killed it on the clone but the services are still running....

Do we need to take a cold back up (Stop the PROD server, copy the files system) ?

Warm Regards,
Mallikarjun.S
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Did you change the values for the RMI_URL directives in your clone to point to the clone nodes in the clone server.conf files?

Is the clone pointing to a cloned database?

Did you change the information in the KINTANA_SERVER environment in the clone instance?

Arjun_K
Solution

Thank you for your thoughts and time Jim & Jason,

Though the parameters line RMI_URL, KINTANA_SERVER, multicast ports were modified per the new instance (Clone) there were not effective since I was unable to stop the services (Whenever I stopped the services on the Clone it stopped PROD services too)

This is what I did to cut the connection between Clone & PROD

1. Stop the servers (PROD & CLONE) off hours

2. Modify each entry related to the clone instance on the server.conf manually (Not by running kConfig.sh)

3. Run kUpdateHtml.sh

4. Clear tmp & work folders

5. Restart the services on PROD first and then Clone.

This way the base URL and other parameters are now different and the connection is broken between Clone server & PROD.

Thanks,

Warm Regards,
Mallikarjun.S
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event