Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM8.0 SP1 Workflow migration bug

Highlighted
Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

PPM8.0 SP1 Workflow migration bug

There is a bug in the workflow migration for subworkflows. The field 'Replace Sub Workflows' will automatically revert back to No when you click Yes. It happens when you click OK to the package line. The internal HP defect number is QCCR1L14078.
8 REPLIES
Niraj Prabhu
Frequent Visitor

Re: PPM8.0 SP1 Workflow migration bug

Hey Dale,

Thanks for this information.

Do you see any other issue on PPM 8.0 version? Can you share your experience of upgrade to this environment.

Regards,
Niraj
Niraj P.
Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

Our environment if rather small and we only use Demand Management currently. That made it easier since most big changes have been in other modules. we upgraded from 6.0 to 7.1, 7.5 then 8.0. Besides the migration bug, the only other active problem I have is that some rules that are triggered by field change are firing at steps where the trigger field is protected and can't be changed. Still haven't figured that one out. Another issue that caused us problems is that HP has made several changes to support clustered environments but we are not clustered and run our DEV and PRD instances on the same App server. We found out that HP automatically defaults several ports for clustering. They do not appear in the server.conf but can be seen in you run a server config report. Trying to run two instances on the same server causes port conflicts and you have to add the new parameters and explicitly name other ports in one instance. We also tried to implement on Windows Server 2008 but even though it is in the compatibility matrix, support could not help us get it to work. We rolled back to Server 2003. PPM 8.0 also seems to have significant performance impacts. We doubled the number of cores on our DB server and doubled memory on App server and moved App server from DMZ to behind the firewall to reduce latency, but performance is a little slower rather than faster. Let me know if you have other specific questions.
Dmitry Gokhman
Acclaimed Contributor

We ran in to same issue. Here is a workaround suggested by HP:

In your source environment:
Use the MigratorExtract and kMigratorImport sh commands. Example:

To extract:
1. Create a migration package for Workflow Migration.
2. Select 'Extract' only
3. Submit
That will create an extraction zip file on your source environmet. Copy this .zip file to your target environment to transfers directory.

To Import:
bin/kMigratorImport.sh -username "admin" -password #!#*****#!# -action import -filename transfers/WORKFLOW__1.zip -i18n none -flags NNNNNYNNNNNNNNNNNNY -unescapeUnicode Y

This is the meaning of the flags (same order in the command above):
FLAG_REPLACE_OBJECT_TYPE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_REQUEST_TYPE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_REQUEST_HEADER_TYPE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_SPECIAL_COMMAND=N
FLAG_REPLACE_VALIDATION=N
FLAG_REPLACE_WORKFLOW=Y
FLAG_REPLACE_WF_STEP_SOURCE=N
FLAG_ADD_ENVIRONMENT=N
FLAG_ADD_SECURITY_GROUP=N
FLAG_ADD_REQUEST_STATUS=N
FLAG_REPLACE_REPORT_TYPE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_WORKPLAN_TEMPLATE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_PORTLET=N
FLAG_REPLACE_USER_DATA_CONTEXT=N
FLAG_REPLACE_PORTLET_DEF=N
FLAG_REPLACE_MODULE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_DATA_SOURCE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_PROJECT_TYPE=N
FLAG_REPLACE_SUB_WORKFLOW=Y

We were able to migrate sub workflow using this method.
Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

I have the workaround and it does work. But, HP needs to step up and fix the problem.
Dmitry Gokhman
Acclaimed Contributor

Also, we were able to figure out different workaround.

If you look at ITG Workflow Migrator in Object Types, (in your source environment)there are two lines for "Replace existing sub workflow?" Make backup copy of this object. Delete one of the lines and migrate object "ITG Workflow Migrator" to target environment, it will replace existing "ITG Workflow Migrator" in your target environment. Now when you migrate sub workflow, you will be able to select "Replace Sub Workflo" radio button. With this change we were able to migrate sub workflow.
Raka_1
Collector

Here are some details on how to do migration using these commands.
Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

Dmitry, thank you. There were 3 Replace sub flow lines in the ITG Workflow Migrator object in my systems. I deleted 2 and ran a few tests and it works like it should. I have been waiting a month for HP to resolve this problem.
Dale Colliver
Regular Collector

Closing this thread. HP has not offered a solution but Dmitry solved it for me.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event