PPM v.9.14 and document management

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
marco_cattarin
Valued Contributor.

PPM v.9.14 and document management

Hello,

does someone can instruct me on how to activate CI/CO and versioning on HP-PPM document management for v.9.14!?

I was expecting these festures only starting from versione 9.2...but in the related documentation I read that since 9.13 and then enhanced in 9.14 these features were present!

In particular I need to know if I have to activate something "extra" PPM (like the "embedded"  version of Documentum...)

I have some difficulties to retrieve the proper infos on HP-PPM v9.1x manuals...

Thanks a lot for any enlighting (to me the migration to 9.2 is planned only for next year...).

Marco Cattarin

5 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PPM v.9.14 and document management

Hi Marco,

the DMS solution has been implemented with PPM 9.13 and is explained in detail in the 9.13 release notes that I've attached..

It includes CI / CO, versioning and full text search capabilities and was implemented to replace the EOS Documentum attachment storage.

The document will also explain in detail to you how to migrate all documents from either file system or EMC to the new solution.

Hope this helps.

Please consider solving this thread if you have your satisfactory answers.

Best regards,

Dirk

-- Kudos always welcome --

marco_cattarin
Valued Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

thanks for the quick reply. I read the document you suggested.

It is still not clear to me if  documents check-in/out and versioning functionalities are available without installing additional sw ONLY under the new DMS modality introduced by 9.13 (DMS solution "PPM Center Database DBMS") or are available also on "PPM Center File System" model. In this case, how to activate them.

In the doc you sent to me it seams that also BEFORE 9.13, having "PPM Center File System" it is possible to manage CI/CO and versioning, but...

- in pag. 34 is reported "Migration occurs while PPM Server is online, and has almost no impact on PPM users. They can keep on checking in and checking out files, and add new attachments"

- while at pag. 26 it is reported: "the PPM Center Database DMS stores documents in PPM Center database, but provides
documents check-in/out and versioning functionalities out-of-the-box"

So, the matter is: to activate CI/CO and versioning am I forced to "migrate" to "PPM Center Database DBMS" (leaving "PPM Center File System")??? If no, how can I activate them???

thanks a lot for any reply.

Marco Cattarin

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Marco,

I strongly believe (almost 100% sure) that PPM File system attachments don't have check-in / check-out functionality. Checking this with our inhouse instances not applying DMS, I don't see any such option.

Therefore, I believe that your quote from page 34 refers for documents that are pre-migration on EMC and can still be handled while migration takes place.

Thus, if you need CI / CO - yes, you will have to move your documents to PPM DMS solution. We are not forcing you to but it would be necessary to use that functionality.

Best regards,

Dirk

marco_cattarin
Valued Contributor.

Ok, many thanks. Now it is very clear to me. Thanks a lot! I accetted your as solution (+kudos)

I attached an additional doc "white paper" I found, about document management on 9.13/14.

Marco Cattarin

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Marco,

thanks for your reply, the solution AND the kudo - greatly appreciated, whereas the information to solve the question was the most important part to me :-)

I did have the other document too but didn't think it relevant to your request.

Glad you attached it though, it will surely help others.

Take care and all my best wishes.

Best regards,

Dirk