Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM upgrade from 6.0 to 7.1 got stuck!

Highlighted
Leandro Dias
New Member.

PPM upgrade from 6.0 to 7.1 got stuck!

We are in process of upgrading from ITG 6.0 SP17 to PPM 7.1 SP5.
The upgrade started but it got stuck at 75% on step "Configuring RML Schema (2/3)". The logfiles show that the upgrade process is "Running RML Step" for "Task: RML_SETUP_IN_RML". The database session is ACTIVE but there's no SQL statement in it. Any idea?
4 REPLIES
Kribin Moodley
Regular Contributor.

Re: PPM upgrade from 6.0 to 7.1 got stuck!

Good day Leandro,

Regarding the issue you ran into when upgrading from 6.0 - 7.1, please advise if you were able to resolve this issue.

I am in the process of upgrading from 6.0SP17 - 7.1 and have run into a similar issue but at the PM configuration step 27%. I initially thought that this was due to the number of Projects in the system and have left the upgrade for over 48hours and it has not proceeded pass this point.

Any assistance is appreciated.

-Kribin
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

You may try to discontinue the upgrade process (on unix by just pressing ctrl+c) and then restart the upgrade process from the beginning by running the upgrade script. The upgrader utility is smart enough to check where the upgrade was discontinued or how much upgrade was successfully completed, and may continue for the rest of the upgrade and finally may work out also. I remember such thing once.

You can try this if you want, but at your risk, and probably talk with HP Support guys for that and if they say ok to that. Either way you may remove your upgrade and restart everything or can just discontinue upgrade and restart it on the same upgrade that was going on.

Also, make sure your lan/network connections from your machine to the actual server everything is ok and does not get disrupted by anything.
Leandro Dias
New Member.

Kribin,

The way to go is to upgrade to PPM 7.1 first using oracle 10.2.0.2 where the upgrade only takes 2 hours and then upgrade the database to 10.2.0.3. I've confirmed with HP Support through case id# 3601237682 as you may see below:

Case title: Upgrade from 6.0 to 7.1 is stuck!
Case detail: We are in process of upgrading from ITG 6.0 SP17 to PPM 7.1 SP5.
The upgrade started but it got stuck at 75% on step "Configuring RML Schema (2/3)".
The logfiles show that the upgrade process is "Running RML Step" for "Task: RML_SETUP_IN_RML". Please advise.

Solution: Called customer and discussed the behavior of the upgrade path.
Customer found out if he upgraded oracle from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.3 first prior to 7.1 upgrade, the upgrade process can take 13 hours long in "configuring RML schema" process. But if he upgraded to 7.1 first using oracle 10.2.0.2, the upgrade only takes 2 hours then upgrade DB to 10.2.0.3.
It seems that there is a best practice path involved with DB upgrade and PPM upgrade.

ER 200795 is submitted.
Kribin Moodley
Regular Contributor.

hi Darshan, Leandro

Dharshan - I have stopped the upgrade and restarted it numerous times using both the .exe and .sh upgrades and the upgrade restarts and stops at the same point.

Leandro, we are on Oracle 10.1.0.3 and will be moving to 10.2.0.3 soon. We are attempting the upgrade on the current oracle version and once upgraded, planned to upgrade the DB to 10.2.0.3.

I have logged a case with support and am investigating with them as well.

Thanx

-Kribin