cancel

PPM - Workp plan scheduling

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jo Ann Norlin
Frequent Contributor.

PPM - Workp plan scheduling

Is there backward scheduling capability in PPM?
6 REPLIES
Semenov Alexand
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PPM - Workp plan scheduling

Good Day.
if you mean back to previouse state before pressing schedule button then it's impossible.
Jo Ann Norlin
Frequent Contributor.

Yes, it would be nice to have an "undo" after we hit the scheduling button. However, that is not what I meant by backward schduling.
What we are trying to do is to be able to put in the project end date and link everything so that after scheduling the workplan, we get the projected start date.
Have any ideas on this?
Daniel Gülzow
Frequent Contributor.

Hi,

I'm also very intersted in scheduling a PPM Center Workplan calculated from the project end date. Customers are asking for functionality regarding topics of "Theory of Constraints".

If anybody has ideas, please let me (us) know.

Kind Regards,
Daniel
Alexei Malinovs
Respected Contributor.
Solution

I never tried it but can speculate.
1. Put the last task as a Milestone with constraint "Must Finish On"

2. All task in the project put with a Constraint "As Late As Possible"

In this case whole your schedule should be alligned to the finnish date rather then start date.

Again, I never tried it , so, I have no glue will it work in real life or not :)
Jo Ann Norlin
Frequent Contributor.

I just tried this in our sandbox with a simple work plan and it appears to work. I will next try it on a more complex work plan.

Thank you, Alexei!
Daniel Gülzow
Frequent Contributor.

Hi,

I also already tried this in a workplan and it works fine. But there are still a few open points:

Problem 1: You must set every task to finish as late as possible (in a workplan with about 100 tasks or more this can be very time consuming)
Problem 2: You cannot pre-define these settings in a workplan template (or these settings get lost when using this template in a project) - when I remember right.

When thinking of "Theory of Constraints" you also would like to add task buffers (project buffer, feeding buffers) but this is, where PPM-Center reaches its limits...

What do you think?