cancel

PPM Workflow Duplication

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Oran O'Dowd
New Member.

PPM Workflow Duplication

I am using PPM Demand Management Module for creating workflows. I need to know if it is possible to create a copy of an existing workflow running on the same PPM instance, so that I can re-use it for another purpose ?

I have been told that it is possible to copy, however, future changes to either workflow (the original or the duplicate) will be reflected in both workflows.

Is this true ?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: PPM Workflow Duplication

No, that's not true. Once you make a copy, it becomes its own entity and any changes you make to that one will only be reflected in that one. The same goes for the original, and changes will apply on to the original. Now what they may have been trying to tell you about is that any changes made will be reflected in any in-flight requests going through those workflows. Just a thought. But you will be fine creating a new workflow for another purpose from a copy of an existing one. I've done it many times myself.

Jason
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Oran,
you can copy workflows in the workflow workbench, but then you have two independent workflows. Changing one won't change the other. If you want to modularize your workflows in order to have reusable parts you need to create a subworkflow which you can then use in several different other workflows.
Changing the subworkflow later on will effect all workflows that use this subworkflow.
Regards
Sascha
Oran O'Dowd
New Member.

Ok. So when the workflow is copied, do the step source names and corresponding validations get copied with the same name, or are new step source names and validations created automatically by the tool ?

Do changes to the copied workflow step validations impact the original workflow?

If a PL/SQL function name is changed in an execution step of a copied workflow, does it get reflected in the original workflow ?

Thanks
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ok. So when the workflow is copied, do the step source names and corresponding validations get copied with the same name, or are new step source names and validations created automatically by the tool ?
>> No, they will use the same step sources

Do changes to the copied workflow step validations impact the original workflow?
>> Yes, the validations are referenced in the step sources

If a PL/SQL function name is changed in an execution step of a copied workflow, does it get reflected in the original workflow ?
>> Yes, the function call is also part of the step source

Regards
Sascha
Alan Delimon
Super Contributor.

New step sources and validations are not created. It just points at the same step sources and validations.

The only negative I can see to doing this is that you will then have validations and step sources that will also need to be copied if you need to chnage them in the new workflow. But this isn't typically a big deal since you usually are copying the workflow to get that on purpose anyway.

We have been doing this (copying workflows, and reusing the copy) in our PPM instance and it works fine. We keep versions of our workflows in our dev instance this way too, ans use it to handle in flight requests when we revision a workflow. I think it was a best practice from the vendor at some point, probably when it was called Kintana a few years back.