The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM - Time Sheet Submission Including Lines with Zero Hours

Highlighted
victoria loft
Collector

PPM - Time Sheet Submission Including Lines with Zero Hours

PPM - Time Sheet Submission Including Lines with Zero Hours. Our resources are copying their previous timesheet. If the resource doesn't work on some items, they leave those lines on the timesheet with zero hours. The line items go into our database. Does anyone have a solution so 1) the lines with zero hours aren't save to the database; or 2) the timesheet submission is not allowed with line items of zero hours.
19 REPLIES
Lizabeth
Regular Collector

Re: PPM - Time Sheet Submission Including Lines with Zero Hours

Victoria,

In Time Management,Time Sheet Policies( Workbench), there is a tab called as 'Min/Max Enforcement', you could set this there.

Thanks
Amit Taneja
Super Collector

Hi,
The Min/Max Enforcement tab on Time Sheets Policies tab does not give the option to restrict a time sheet "line" with zero hours. It only allows the option to enforce time on "Per Time Sheet" or "Per Day" basis.
I have exactly the same question as Victoria Loft. How could we prevent users from submitting individual "lines" in the time sheet if they have zero hours (or if they do not have any hours in a particular time sheet line)?
A response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
AT
Lizabeth
Regular Collector

AT,

It does, You also have to mark the radio button associated with it down below( Level Of Enforcement), in the same tab.

Thanks

victoria loft
Collector

individual Line items (with no hours on the line item) can be submitted with a timesheet that has the minimum hours required through the policy.
Example:
work item set: total hrs by timesheet:
1) IT Efficiency 0.00
2) Business Process Design 1.00
3) SST 0.00

Having the line items 1 and 3 in the timesheet require project managers to approve or reject line items that have zero hours.
Amit Taneja
Super Collector

Hi Lizabeth,
Thanks for your reply. However, the radio buttons in the "Choose the Level of Enforcement" allows the option to choose minimum/maximum for the whole time sheet and not for individual time sheet line. I have attached snapshots for you for reference. Any recommendations?
Screenshots Attached as MS Word File
Thank you,
AT
Amit Taneja
Super Collector

Hi Victoria,
Rather than having users submit time sheets with time lines as you mentioned:
1) IT Efficiency 0.00
2) Business Process Design 1.00
3) SST 0.00

How could we prevent users from submitting their time sheets without Lines 1) and 3). Is there any way when the users try and hit submit button with lines 1) and 3) which have zero hours, the system will just not allow them to submit the time sheet unless the users remove all those zero hours lines?
victoria loft
Collector

Amit - that would be nice - that's what I would want. IF we can't stop the EE from submitting the timesheet with those line items, a work around that I thought of was:
allow the user to submit, however, 1) Do Not send the line item to the database and 2) Do Not send the line item to the Project Manager for approval. We have Project Managers that "reject" the line item for Design because the project is in the implementation phase - eventhough there are no hours associated with the line.
Lizabeth
Regular Collector

That is correct AT, we have a Minimum set as 1 Hour and the radio Button marked to Prevent the Resource... option to avoid Zero Submissions.

Thanks
Amit Taneja
Super Collector

If I am able to workout the solution, I'll post it here and send you the results.
Thanks a lot Voctoria and Lizabeth!
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Hi Victoria and Amit,

Just to understand and find if there are any solutions or alternate ways,

What are the reasons that you do not want to keep the Minimum Hours per timesheet policy but at the same time do not want the users to enter 0 hours?

What if you keep the Minimum hours per timesheet to 1 hour? How does it impact your users or the requirements of time sheet entering policies?

Please let know to see any other ways around for the same. Thanks.
victoria loft
Collector

We are trying to not allow line items with zero hours to be included in the timesheet. The timesheet policy restricts the min/max hours for the ENTIRE timesheet. We want to not allow a user to include line items with zero hours - their timesheet will have the Min Hrs for the period, but can include line items with zero hours.

The line items with zero hours are sent to the project manager for approval. We want to eliminate the project manager seeing the line items with zero hours.

The line items with zero hours are included in the reports for time details, which makes the report very long.
Amit Taneja
Super Collector

Thanks for echoeing my thoughts Victoria. As explicitly mentioned above, the time sheet minimum could be set to one hour.
The main focus of finding a solution here on this thread is to prevent users from entering time sheets lines with zero hours.
A user can submit a time sheet with only 1 hour but still can have 50 other lines with zero hour and 1 line with 1 hour. This would make the timesheet really long, unnecessary load on the Project Manager who would have to approve all those lines with zero hours.

I would again like to reiterate here that the focus here is to find a solution to PREVENT TIME LINES WITH ZERO HOURS.

I hope an elaborate explanation in all the previous communications here would allow someone to present a suitable solution.

AT!

Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

This is a kind of restriction right now due to the underlying design. I doubt an ootb solution, but HP needs to fix it in future versions. The reason its the underlying design issue is because of these:

1. By default it only check if the time sheet total equals to zero hours and not time sheet line total is zero or more.

2. If you have time sheet lines with zero hours, then during the save or submit operation, the system will need to run an additional script to check which time sheet line is having zero hours and then do not save that line.

3. It is just an option (they may call it feature and not bug) for the user to Save the time sheet line with zero hours before Submitting it. So if the users Saves it with zero hours, then during Submit, the system will have to physically remove that row from the database tables, which will be even more costlier.

Ofcourse, submitting timesheet lines with zero hours does not make any sense and also does not look good of the resources submitting zero hours to their time approvers. So this sure should be called as a defect. The best option for HP might be to remove all such lines during Save and Submit both, whichever option the user selects and enforcing users to enter some minimum time in each time sheet line, like many other time sheet does.
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

*like many other time sheet systems/applications do.
victoria loft
Collector

Bravo Amit and thanks to all for all the responses. I will log an enhancement request to HP and include the ER # in this thread for future reference.
victoria loft
Collector

HP Case # 3603758449, will provide the ER # once I get it.
Vasily Aksenov
Esteemed Contributor

Hello
We will also log such case as wee need this option.
I will give the link to your case.

Rgs, Vasily Aksenov
victoria loft
Collector

Thank you, but I already logged a case and enhancement request has been logged - here it is:

ramesh.natarajan2@hp.com
Created date: October 30, 2008 9:12:37PM

A Product Enhancement 206445 has been logged for the Incident 3603758449.
The Product management team will be reviewing this for future releases.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions and if not can I close this Incident.
In future if you want to work on this issue you can open a new ticket and reference this Incident number.
Amit Taneja
Super Collector

Victoria,
Great work. Appreciate your support on this front. Let us know if you upgrade to 7.5 or when any resolution sees the light of the day. Pleasure to share knowlege with you and everyone else here on this forum!
Thanks,
AT
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event